Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2011
I've noticed that both my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus screens seem less responsive after updating to iOS 9.2. Some times I have to press on the screen more than 2 times until it responds. Restarting the device does help temporarily. Anyone else experiencing this issue? I think I might try a restore.

Last edited:

mgirg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2008
I've noticed that both my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus screens seem less responsive after updating to iOS 9.2. Some times I have to press on the screen more than 2 times until it responds. Restarting the device does help temporarily. Anyone else experiencing this issue? I think I might try a restore.

Yep have exactly the same problem on my iPhone 6 Plus after upgrading to iOS 9.2. As you a forced restart temporarily helps and it is very variable - sometimes it works fine other is doesn't. Will try a restore tonight.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Five fingers to close app on iPad is also way less sensitive than before. I have to do the gesture multiple times to close apps. I don't recall having this problem on older iPads and iOS versions. I don't know if it's related to hardware or software though as the iPad came with iOS 9. Already filed a bug report.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Five fingers to close app on iPad is also way less sensitive than before. I have to do the gesture multiple times to close apps. I don't recall having this problem on older iPads and iOS versions. I don't know if it's related to hardware or software though as the iPad came with iOS 9. Already filed a bug report.

My opinion it is software, it seems different on iOS 9 and above compared to prior versions on the Air 2 when using the gestures. I found that if I move my fingers slower when closing an app it seems to be more successful at taking it the first try.

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
the screen on my 6s was less responsive(need 2-3 taps sometimes) from unboxing(ios 9.1 out of the box). now on 9.2 it needs the same 2-3 taps (sometimes) to react. Any fixes?

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
the screen on my 6s was less responsive(need 2-3 taps sometimes) from unboxing(ios 9.1 out of the box). now on 9.2 it needs the same 2-3 taps (sometimes) to react. Any fixes?

Use your device slowly and you won't have this problem. Apple got rid of that feature that lets you use your device fast because they want you to use their device as they intended. Nice and slow and steady.

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Use your device slowly and you won't have this problem. Apple got rid of that feature that lets you use your device fast because they want you to use their device as they intended. Nice and slow and steady.

to keep the caseless iPhones from slipping out and away from your hand(s)...lol

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK

Same here with the 2-or-more-press thing on my iPad Air 1 but it didn't start with 9.2. It's been going on a while so hard to tell exactly but for me it definitely started on a 9.<something> release. Because my iPad is quite old I wondered whether it was the screen wearing out. It makes browsing quite frustrating when the first or even second touch on a link doesn't get recognised.

- Julian

Reactions: xoAnna

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2011
After a full restore on both devices it seems to be better but still there sometimes.

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015

Im a little bit quiet now, and i want to believe that is a software "issue" and not a hardware problem with my new 6s.
You are probably right, i tend to work fast on it, probably because im coming from an android phone. I think i noticed that if i let it a few seconds after a tap it reacts to the new one.

mgirg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2008
A full restore with iTunes seems to have worked so far for me, fingers crossed!

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
you mean shift+restore from itunes (downloaded 9.2 ipsw) right?

califfo1975

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010

Happy to discover that other people, unfortunately, have remarked the same. In my case (iPad air 2 128Gb) after closing one app with the five fingers, if i want to perform another fingers gesture afterwards, i have to wait a fraction of second for it to be effective otherwise it is not immediately taken into account by ios. In other words, the rapid sequencing of fingers gesture is not as repsonsive as it was with any s/w prior to ios9. Rapid sequencing of geatures or tappings is no more working as fast as before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin Frost

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I noticed this dip in responsiveness ever since ios7. Part of it is the psychological result of reduced visual feedback, with buttons being text that has no "pressed" state.

But overall they seem to have reduced sensitivity too. The 4-finger close on older iPads took a major hit, as has the ability to trigger the camera from the lock screen.

Reactions: xoAnna

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
restore it from itunes and nothing change :( im really scared that it can be a hardware issue...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.