Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
I don't have Apple TV currently and wondering if there are any free/paid apps that will reliably allow me to share photos & videos with an experience comparable to how you do it with Apple tv

Thanks

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Yes sorry a TV. Just basically showing pics etc when friends or neighbors come over. That would be the only use case. I barely use TV otherwise

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Also, you don’t tell us what you would be Air Playing from. Assuming you want to go from a Mac or an iOS device why not buy an HDMI adapter (it’s built in to some Macs) and mirror via an HDMI cable. Granted it’s not the most elegant solution but if you’re only doing it occasionally it may be the simplest.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You've got to have one of three setups:
  1. A device connected to the TV that can display the photos wirelessly from an iPhone app capable of sending to that device
  2. Some sort of cable from your iPhone connected to the TV and an app on the iPhone that will display photos over that cable
  3. Sort sort of an app built into a local network connected TV (wifi or Ethernet) that can receive from an iPhone app capable of sending to the TV app
You might use your TV more for other stuff if you went with #1…or figured out how to do #3 if your TV is capable.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Option 1 - Airscreen/Airbeamtv apps on Fire TV which my iphone connects to. My Firetv is connected to a TV that doesn't have any smart TV functionality. If this has worked for others, I don't mind paying for the app
Option 2 - Apple TV 4k connected to my TV. If this performance/resolution is much better, I'm open to going this route but given how little I watch TV, it'll only be utilized for iphone screen mirroring using Airplay

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.