Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YonTom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
I just ordered a Macbook Pro M3Pro 16" and I am wondering if I should put a tempered-glass screen protector on. I know that many people recommend not to do it because it may damage the anti-reflective coating of the XDR display. Has anybody had any experience with that? I have had a tempered-glass screen protector on my Macbook Air M1 for a year and a half and I have not noticed any diminishing in display quality whatsoever. I know that Macbook screens are not as easy to break as iPhone screens just because of the way they are used (like, if I didn't have a screen protector on my iPhone 15 Pro, my screen would have shattered in 10 different places by now). But notwithstanding, I like having the protector because I find it to be a cleaner and safer experience overall: I like that I don't have to wipe the Mac screen directly when it gets dirty, but the protector over it, and therefore I'm not too worried about pressing too hard/ scratching... because you know, even a microfiber cloth could hurt the screen if there is a debris trapped on it, plus cleaning it so many times could wear the screen out even when you do it right. The times I have not had a screen protector on my Macs, I have found myself not cleaning the screen too often out of caution. With the screen protector on, I wipe it daily. But of course, going back to the beginning, I wouldn't want to damage the anti-reflective coating of the display...
Thoughts? :)

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I would avoid using a screen protector.

You’re going to lose any benefit of whatever anti-reflective coating is on your screen and you can damage the screen with it. Just use a clean microfiber cloth to wipe the screen down whenever necessary or before closing your laptop.

A screen protector on a pocket device or even a touchscreen device makes sense because the screen might be coming in contact with something. if you’re in a situation where your laptop screen is coming in contact with some thing then perhaps you need a rugged device

Reactions: ascender and chabig

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I would never put a screen protector on a Mac. If you need to clean the screen for dust, use a very soft feather duster. Outside of that, you shouldn’t need to clean the screen. If you have to close the lid, put the white sheet that comes with the Mac in between the screen and keyboard or a piece of computer paper. Mark the side facing up against the screen so you don’t get the keyboard dirty.

Reactions: chabig

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
i don't use tempered glass but I do put film on every mac including my 14inch. most films from reputable brands on amazon are non stick so it doesn't damage the coatings on your screen.

Reactions: nospleen

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
In my experience, the most dust, grime and marks come from the fingers banging on the keyboard.
And when you shut the laptop, the keys transfer all that detritus on the screen.

I don't shut the laptop fully...I bring the lid down maybe 2/3 and that works for me.
When I have to shut the laptop fully for transportation, I put a new A4 sheet of paper as a separator.
This works for me...I wouldn't buy a screen protector for a laptop.

rddt

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2024
i don't use tempered glass but I do put film on every mac including my 14inch. most films from reputable brands on amazon are non stick so it doesn't damage the coatings on your screen.
Which is your favorite film? No noticeable screen damage for you? The most damage I've seen is from not using any protection, the keys and touchpad with any dirt or oils will quickly destroy the screen (as seen on 5x macbook pro's since 2013).

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Which is your favorite film? No noticeable screen damage for you? The most damage I've seen is from not using any protection, the keys and touchpad with any dirt or oils will quickly destroy the screen (as seen on 5x macbook pro's since 2013).
Interesting. I’ve used MB and MBP since 2000 with no protection and never had a screen destroyed, and I dragged mine a;ll ove rteh world on business. How were yours destroyed?

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
honestly any of these 10 bucks for 2 pack will do, i quickly realized these more reputable 3rd uses the same film manufacturers so you really are just paying for the ratings.

rddt

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2024
I don't see any evidence of screen damage on amazon reviews for a variety of both glass and plastic screen protectors, what's the risk exactly?

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
I don't see any evidence of screen damage on amazon reviews for a variety of both glass and plastic screen protectors, what's the risk exactly?

There must be some loss of radiated heat transmission ie cooling of the screen and its rear electronics. There doesn't appear to be any heat venting via air gaps in the screen architecture, unlike the body of the computer. Plastic films are insulators. Operating the screen at a lower light / brightness setting would cancel that issue IMO. To what degree - only time would tell. Plus the screen protector would lower light transmission a bit - which when compensated means the screen on average would have to run at higher brightness hence heat levels. This would also affect battery life due to a less efficient computer. To what degree, who knows?

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I have never understood the opposition to screen protectors on Macs. I have a privacy screen for my coffee shop use. I've used a screen protector on numerous Macs both Apple Silicon and Intel and have never had a problem. I don't get it. From my experience I always do it.

Reactions: Knightimer and rddt

rddt

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2024
I have never understood the opposition to screen protectors on Macs. I have a privacy screen for my coffee shop use. I've used a screen protector on numerous Macs both Apple Silicon and Intel and have never had a problem. I don't get it. From my experience I always do it.
Do you prefer the glass or plastic ones?

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
Do you prefer the glass or plastic ones?
I've done both. Plastic is flimsy. The glass ones can be the problem everyone complains about with the lid not closing. I try to get a high-quality privacy screen. I don't remember whether the last one was glass or plastic. I think it was a quality plastic.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There must be some loss of radiated heat transmission ie cooling of the screen and its rear electronics. There doesn't appear to be any heat venting via air gaps in the screen architecture, unlike the body of the computer. Plastic films are insulators. Operating the screen at a lower light / brightness setting would cancel that issue IMO. To what degree - only time would tell. Plus the screen protector would lower light transmission a bit - which when compensated means the screen on average would have to run at higher brightness hence heat levels. This would also affect battery life due to a less efficient computer. To what degree, who knows?

There are no vents because the display isn’t that sensitive to heat. If the display were that sensitive, users would have problems working in a room that’s 19C vs. 25C or simply working in direct sunlight.

Nobody has experienced such a problem with screen protectors. This is similar to the myth that keyboard covers will retain enough heat to damage the computer.

Reactions: dizmonk

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
I just ordered a Macbook Pro M3Pro 16" and I am wondering if I should put a tempered-glass screen protector on. I know that many people recommend not to do it because it may damage the anti-reflective coating of the XDR display. Has anybody had any experience with that? I have had a tempered-glass screen protector on my Macbook Air M1 for a year and a half and I have not noticed any diminishing in display quality whatsoever. I know that Macbook screens are not as easy to break as iPhone screens just because of the way they are used (like, if I didn't have a screen protector on my iPhone 15 Pro, my screen would have shattered in 10 different places by now). But notwithstanding, I like having the protector because I find it to be a cleaner and safer experience overall: I like that I don't have to wipe the Mac screen directly when it gets dirty, but the protector over it, and therefore I'm not too worried about pressing too hard/ scratching... because you know, even a microfiber cloth could hurt the screen if there is a debris trapped on it, plus cleaning it so many times could wear the screen out even when you do it right. The times I have not had a screen protector on my Macs, I have found myself not cleaning the screen too often out of caution. With the screen protector on, I wipe it daily. But of course, going back to the beginning, I wouldn't want to damage the anti-reflective coating of the display...
Thoughts? :)
I have the Moshi iVisor XT reusable along with the UPPERCASE keyboard protector, NO issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.