Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftlum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Hi All.

I'm finding installation of a tempered glass screen protector really challenging on a 12.9 iPad.

There's so much more surface area for dust to get trapped and dust removal with scotch tape is quite hard if the dust is trapped in the center (the tape doesn't reach well and a longer piece of tape becomes hard to manipulate).

Aside from running a hot shower, are there any other things you do to deal with dust? Preemptive control is best I think.

Also, I find the hinge method is best to get things lined up well, but it's not perfect-- there's always a little wiggle room with the hinge. Is there a better alignment method or way to make the hinge more reliable?

Thanks in advance!

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Hi All.

I'm finding installation of a tempered glass screen protector really challenging on a 12.9 iPad.

There's so much more surface area for dust to get trapped and dust removal with scotch tape is quite hard if the dust is trapped in the center (the tape doesn't reach well and a longer piece of tape becomes hard to manipulate).

Aside from running a hot shower, are there any other things you do to deal with dust? Preemptive control is best I think.

Also, I find the hinge method is best to get things lined up well, but it's not perfect-- there's always a little wiggle room with the hinge. Is there a better alignment method or way to make the hinge more reliable?

Thanks in advance!
Generally you don't have too many chances to put tempered glass on without cracking or deforming it if prying up too many times. I've always cleaned the screen with eye glass cleaner and kept an air canister close by.
Eventually you'll figure out they're not worth the hassle and dispose of them because they're not needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.