Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a screen protector on your 11 inch iPad Pro?

• Yay

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2022
I’m not sure if I should put a screen protector on my 11 inch iPad Pro…what do you do?

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I had one on my 2021 12.9 but removed it due to the significant increase in reflectivity (tempered glass as I don't care for matte).

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I use an Ambison matte tempered glass one. It reduces glare and fingerprints, doesn’t show scratches and wear like the matte PET screens do, and it doesn’t cause the rainbow sprinkles look that the matte PET ones do.

Reactions: sparksd

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I generally do not use screen protectors on iPads. That said, I have an iPad Pro with a hairline crack across a large portion of the screen. I did put a screen protector on that machine, and it helps twofold–it makes the crack nearly invisible, and I can no longer feel the crack when I swipe.

kbright1892

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
I had one on my 2021 12.9 but removed it due to the significant increase in reflectivity (tempered glass as I don't care for matte).
I did the same on my old 11. I just couldn't take the extra reflections since most of the places I use my iPad are very well-lit.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I did the same on my old 11. I just couldn't take the extra reflections since most of the places I use my iPad are very well-lit.

The kicker ro me was covering half of the iPad with the protector with an iPad without one - the overlay really showed the difference.

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2022
Depends on how much you want to protect your investment - with me, always. Not only do I put screen protector on it, I also put a PITAKA 2021 iPad Pro [MagEZ Case 2] Ultra Thin Aramid Fiber Magnetic Case that is Magic Keyboard Compatible. The glare isn’t bad enough to risk damaging the screen...

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
I‘ve been an iPad user since day 1. I have used an original iPad (still plodding along), an Air 1 (recycled), a Pro 1 (gifted to the wife) and a 12.9 M1 (using right now). I have never used a screen protector and I have never broken an iPad screen. I used smart covers (which only covered the screen and left the back naked) and never had a scratch. There are no smart covers for the 12.9 so I use the Apple front and back cover. But only for travel. Right now, at home, my iPad is naked.

This whole industry of cases and covers and protectors is cashing in on fear. iPads were built to be used. I use mine every day for everything. Every iPad I have owned has been a real workhorse. I create on iPads at least as much as I consume on iPads. Stop fearing and start using these wonderful Star Trek devices.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I put glass screen protectors on everything. I probably need it less on my iPads than my phone, but I do it anyway. It just gives me some peace of mind.

Propine

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2020
I could imagine a screen protector if you use your iPad in really harsch environments, like on a construction site or on a factory or in fields or give it to kids. But if it’s mostly used at home, in a train and in an office - don’t bother.

Reactions: v1ctorS and estabya

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I’ve been using iPads bare-screened since the original without any issues. I have had my current 2018 11” since launch, and the screen is still pristine. I just make sure the screen is covered by the Smart Cover or Magic Keyboard if I’m not actively using it.

shinigamii

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
I’ve been using iPads bare-screened since the original without any issues. I have had my current 2018 11” since launch, and the screen is still pristine. I just make sure the screen is covered by the Smart Cover or Magic Keyboard if I’m not actively using it.
The smart cover would put on extra weight on the iPad so I just applied a film screen guard from Gadgetshieldz which is good enough for scratch protection. I was using my iPad without any protection and got a few scratches that are visible so this film protector is very useful!

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I‘ve been an iPad user since day 1. I have used an original iPad (still plodding along), an Air 1 (recycled), a Pro 1 (gifted to the wife) and a 12.9 M1 (using right now). I have never used a screen protector and I have never broken an iPad screen. I used smart covers (which only covered the screen and left the back naked) and never had a scratch. There are no smart covers for the 12.9 so I use the Apple front and back cover. But only for travel. Right now, at home, my iPad is naked.

This whole industry of cases and covers and protectors is cashing in on fear. iPads were built to be used. I use mine every day for everything. Every iPad I have owned has been a real workhorse. I create on iPads at least as much as I consume on iPads. Stop fearing and start using these wonderful Star Trek devices.

Completely agree with the cash cow device protection industry. I would really like to go bare with my IPP 12.9 but am too afraid. I take really good care of my things to the point that family members think it’s a new phone when I hand down devices to relatives. That said, I have gone through several cracked phone screen protectors and would hate to crack the display on the IPP.

This is my first iPad ever and although a case and screen protector adds considerable weight, my wedding ring alone will mark up the back like crazy without some form of protection. I am also concerned about the edges getting scratched while perched on my music stand. I like the idea of thin lightweight skins but there are horror stories with removing those later. Ultimately, this thread makes me question who I’m protecting the device for. For Apple if I trade it in years from now? For the next owner if I decide to sell it at some point? To hand down to my daughter or another family member? I could make my life easier by using the IPP 12.9 without any coverings and actually be able to feel and appreciate its beautiful design…yet I’m still unable to free myself from the bondage of case and tempered glass. At least the case gives me a kickstand (again, because I’m too afraid for anything else to prop up and contact the IPP). It all sounds so silly yet I can’t shake the impression of the IPP as fragile.
You don’t put your MacBook in a case and slap a plastic protector on the screen, do you? :)
An interest point but my MacBook isn’t touch screen and I don’t move it around quite as often as the IPP. However, you’re correct that I’d still hate to get a scratch on it yet I don’t put any protection on it other than a sleeve when traveling.

Last edited:

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I have one on my iPad Pro 3rd gen 11 inch, because it came with it on already, however it being the first time I ever have bought a basically new ipad or computer so I likely would have got one anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.