Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ravox

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
When a new iPhone comes the pain of applying a screen protector comes together, i simply hate to apply a screen protector I'm extremely ocd i can't see any speck of dust or anything behind that i mess with the protector, I spend a crazy amount of money buying protectors as backup to apply perfectly

Any good technique to apply the protectors? im using the bathroom with shower on technique but even with that i get dust sometimes inside

usr0

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2019
Buy one that comes with an alignment tool and try to apply it as soon as you remove the sticker the phone comes with. Once you apply it just take a quick look to see if it's generally ok and forget about it. If you look intensely for hair/dust etc, you will find it.

Reactions: baking soda

Ctg44

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
I'm like you and have to get my installs perfect. I've been using Spigen with the easy install and it works perfect. Highly recommended for a clean install with no dust, bubbles, etc.

Ravox

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
That installation frame they provide is horrible, there is a high risk to scratch the sides of the phone with them, i never use it and apply without the installation frame

Reactions: Bethanie21

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2014
Apple has a machine that applies them perfectly with no dust or bubbles. I’m the sane way as you. Might be worth going into the store and having them do it.

Reactions: walds11 and rambo47

Ravox

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
The problem is that apple use belkin protectors when they apply at the store, they are not the best ones and not full cover, i prefer the protectors that cover the whole screen including the notch

Reactions: nmeed

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
That installation frame they provide is horrible, there is a high risk to scratch the sides of the phone with them, i never use it and apply without the installation frame
Really? I've Spigen protectors for several generations and I've always found them to be terrific, and the frames are extremely useful. Can a plastic frame gently applied for a few moments really scratch the aluminium/stainless steel sides of the phone?

I'm all for pedantry and keeping things as pristine for as long possible, but at a certain point the sides of the phone are going to touch something. And if you're using your phone so carefully that you don't want anything to touch the sides (in a display case maybe?), perhaps you don't need a screen protector at all?

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Apple has a machine that applies them perfectly with no dust or bubbles. I’m the sane way as you. Might be worth going into the store and having them do it.
Thats how I roll. I used to put my own on, badly, and always was bothered by it. When I had Apple do it upon buying a new iPhone I was amazed by how quickly and perfectly the screen protector went on. Like magic!

MassiveBeers

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2021
Hope, New Jersey
My go to tip for applying screen protectors is to set up to apply in your bathroom but run a super hot shower for a bit to get the room all muggy and steamy. kill the shower and apply. The super humid air will weigh down virtually all airborne dust and particles making it way easier to apply without getting anything under the screen.

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
When a new iPhone comes the pain of applying a screen protector comes together, i simply hate to apply a screen protector I'm extremely ocd i can't see any speck of dust or anything behind that i mess with the protector, I spend a crazy amount of money buying protectors as backup to apply perfectly

Any good technique to apply the protectors? im using the bathroom with shower on technique but even with that i get dust sometimes inside
The trick is to take or just start a really warm shower to get your bathroom humid and do the installation in there. :)

KevinMalone

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
I'm the same. If I don't apply the protector on flawlessly I'll keep re-doing it until I run out of packs, then I end up buying more. I highly recommend going to the Apple store and have them put it on with their machine, but make sure it looks good before you leave. I had them apply one on my XS and I noticed a small scratch on the protector. Didn't go back to have them re-do it, but no big deal for me.

Sure, the Belkin protector that Apple sells is a little pricey but it'll be applied professionally and you don't need to worry about putting on another one. It sure beats buying a ton of packs from Amazon. Cheap, but it adds up.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2014
I'm the same. If I don't apply the protector on flawlessly I'll keep re-doing it until I run out of packs, then I end up buying more. I highly recommend going to the Apple store and have them put it on with their machine, but make sure it looks good before you leave. I had them apply one on my XS and I noticed a small scratch on the protector. Didn't go back to have them re-do it, but no big deal for me.

Sure, the Belkin protector that Apple sells is a little pricey but it'll be applied professionally and you don't need to worry about putting on another one. It sure beats buying a ton of packs from Amazon. Cheap, but it adds up.
This! I used to buy a ton of packs from Amazon so I would have backups if it wasn’t perfect. I recommend going to apple. The belkin ones have held up well for me.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
The best technique is to not use them. Enjoy your phone the way it was meant to be used. If you’re that worried about “protection,” just get AppleCare.

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Whilst the screen itself is quite scratch resitant, the oleophobic coating isn't

So over time you end up with these super thin hairline scratches over the screen that appear at certain light angles

I've always gone without a screen protector but for the 13PM I'll be adding one, got a four year old who is unpredictable with my phone ?

I'll be trying the humid bathroom install method

jaycemain

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2020
When I tried to install one myself, I had a lot of dust particles get in between the layers. Horrible experience. So I would just get a store to install it.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

Maybe try putting the glass protector on in the bathroom after you have steamed up the bathroom which will help with dust reduction. Thus is what I am going to try this year. Also, using an alignment tool will help simplifying the installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.