Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I use a jet tech glass screen protector and I noticed when next to an iPad Pro without a screen protector the reflection was waaay lower. Apple apply very effective anti reflective coatings to their glass, but my screen protector obviously does not.

Does any have any recommendation for a screen protector with good anti reflective coating. Not a matte one. I would like to retain the great clarity, vividness and contrast of the glossy screen.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I use a jet tech glass screen protector and I noticed when next to an iPad Pro without a screen protector the reflection was waaay lower. Apple apply very effective anti reflective coatings to their glass, but my screen protector obviously does not.

Does any have any recommendation for a screen protector with good anti reflective coating. Not a matte one. I would like to retain the great clarity, vividness and contrast of the glossy screen.

I haven't found one. I also had used a JETech protector on my 12.9 but removed it because of the reflectivity problem. I covered half of the screen with an iPad without a protector and the difference seen like that was amazing. In a room with good lighting, it turns dark elements of the display into a mirror and is really distracting when watching letterboxed videos or videos with lots of dark scenes. I don't want a matte protector either so I'll just do without. The advantage of using one for me was reduced fingerprint smudging and was easier to clean.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks for asking whitedragon, as I’m actually researching the same thing for my 12.9 M1. Looks like the choices are either no protector for the best experience, a matte protector which impacts sharpness or a tempered glass protector which turns the ipad into a $1100 mirror ??

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
I haven't found one. I also had used a JETech protector on my 12.9 but removed it because of the reflectivity problem. I covered half of the screen with an iPad without a protector and the difference seen like that was amazing. In a room with good lighting, it turns dark elements of the display into a mirror and is really distracting when watching letterboxed videos or videos with lots of dark scenes. I don't want a matte protector either so I'll just do without. The advantage of using one for me was reduced fingerprint smudging and was easier to clean.
I’m thinking I’ll go without too, but I’m nervous that I’ll inevitably get a scratch. How long have you been protector-free and is it scratch free?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I’m thinking I’ll go without too, but I’m nervous that I’ll inevitably get a scratch. How long have you been protector-free and is it scratch free?

Scratch-free. 8 months since I removed it but I never used a protector on my previous three iPads and didn't have scratches there - I tried it solely for the smudging/cleaning benefits.

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Scratch-free. 8 months since I removed it but I never used a protector on my previous three iPads and didn't have scratches there - I tried it solely for the smudging/cleaning benefits.
That’s awesome! Do you use a folio style cover? I’m wondering if I go protector free, I’d the flap will scratch my screen. Curious to know your experience, thanks

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
That’s awesome! Do you use a folio style cover? I’m wondering if I go protector free, I’d the flap will scratch my screen. Curious to know your experience, thanks

I've used multiple cases, all with screen covers to protect the device when moving it around anywhere, including a bag on travel.

Reactions: shr631

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I got an Ambison matte glass screen protector for both my iPad Pro 11 2021 and Mini 6. I really like them. They do not have the same sparkly look that you get from even the best matte PET screen protector. It’s hard to describe the look, but it reminds of velvet (smooth). Pencil feels good on it, too, and no glare.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I got an Ambison matte glass screen protector for both my iPad Pro 11 2021 and Mini 6. I really like them. They do not have the same sparkly look that you get from even the best matte PET screen protector. It’s hard to describe the look, but it reminds of velvet (smooth). Pencil feels good on it, too, and no glare.
Yeah, the problem is that matte screen protectors impact the crispness and sharpness of the gorgeous iPad Pro screen, that’s why many of us are in the hunt for a clear screen protector with an anti-reflective coating.

I‘ve been using a Mothca matte glass screen protector, and it is the best I’ve tried, but still affects the crispness of the screen. And regular clear screen protectors turn your expensive iPad into a mirror.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Yeah, the problem is that matte screen protectors impact the crispness and sharpness of the gorgeous iPad Pro screen, that’s why many of us are in the hunt for a clear screen protector with an anti-reflective coating.

I‘ve been using a Mothca matte glass screen protector, and it is the best I’ve tried, but still affects the crispness of the screen. And regular clear screen protectors turn your expensive iPad into a mirror.
I don’t find that the Ambison protector affects the crispness and sharpness like the typical matte plastic protector, but that’s me.

AVE№TURA

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2021

Same here! Mate protectors look as if they reflect less but these defuse reflections but in my experience everything on the screen is covered by the diffuse reflection and I is even less readable.

There is some Chinese protectors for iPhone that use true antireflective coating but good luck ordering one let alone receiving it.

Panzerglas from Germany rebranded their mate protectors but these are still mate and not antireflective.

What is embarrassing is that some chinese Phone manufacturers have screen coating that are better than iPhone pro which has non really. Apple are the only ones that I have seen put a filter or coating inside their LCDs on the iPad Pros. My 10.5 Pro is 100000x times better in daylight conditions than my iPhone 13 Pro Max at max brightness!

Reactions: Populus

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I'll just add that I've been using an iPad daily since the original iPad came out, and I've never used a screen protector, and I've never had a single scratch on any of the screens. However, I do use a case with a flip cover that covers the screen when not in use.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Today, after many months using a matte screen protector, I just removed mine from my iPad Pro, because after a drop, the glass shattered.

I didn’t know my iPad screen was so crisp and nice! Gorgeous!
Lets hope it doesn’t get scratched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.