Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdb29127

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2020
I bought an iPad Gen 9 about 6 months ago. it works perfectly, but every screen protector I have tried has lifted around the edge after a month or two. I recently bought a Zugu case and am wondering if I really need a screen protector. I dont use a apple pencil and dont have any small children or pets. Is it really neccessary?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don’t use one. Personally they seem a bit silly to me; anything that would crack the screen isn’t gonna be stopped by a layer of plastic that big & they never look good. I suppose you could make the argument that I’ll prevent screen SCRATCHES but your Zugu case should do that just fine.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I have matte glass screen protectors on my Mini 6 and Air 4 in Zugu cases, no lifting. Have had screen protectors on both for the several months the iPads have been in the cases.

I like the lack of glare, the reduced fingerprints, and the less slippery feel when using the Apple Pencil. I don’t consider screen protectors silly at all. I had one break when an iPad fell face first on a hard floor and I had a plastic one get a divot in it when my iPad fell against the sharp corner of a metal camera display stand. I expect the screen would have suffered a nasty scratch or possibly even broken.

I use my Mini 6 outside when I check my trail cameras. The case alone would not protect the screen from scratches while I’m using the iPad in that outdoor environment.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I like the lack of glare, the reduced fingerprints, and the less slippery feel when using the Apple Pencil. I don’t consider screen protectors silly at all. I had one break when an iPad fell face first on a hard floor and I had a plastic one get a divot in it when my iPad fell against the sharp corner of a metal camera display stand. I expect the screen would have suffered a nasty scratch or possibly even broken.
I’m sure they have their uses; glare & feel are definitely a personal preference. But the “screen protector broke when the device fell” and “Screen protector got a divot” is exactly why I say they never look good. My iPhone and iPads have fallen COUNTLESS times with no damage because… no fragile screen protector to get broken ;)

The times I actually HAVE had something break (screen on an iPhone… 4 or 5, and back on an iPhone 12) AppleCare+ sorted things quickly & simply enough. And I’m quite confident a screen protector would not have prevented that screen breakage.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I’m sure they have their uses; glare & feel are definitely a personal preference. But the “screen protector broke when the device fell” and “Screen protector got a divot” is exactly why I say they never look good. My iPhone and iPads have fallen COUNTLESS times with no damage because… no fragile screen protector to get broken ;)

The times I actually HAVE had something break (screen on an iPhone… 4 or 5, and back on an iPhone 12) AppleCare+ sorted things quickly & simply enough. And I’m quite confident a screen protector would not have prevented that screen breakage.
I prefer to change a screen protector rather than have to use AppleCare to change the screen.…

Reactions: cargobrian

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I prefer to change a screen protector rather than have to use AppleCare to change the screen.…
“Screen protectors” are a delusion. They get broken FAR more easily than the screen itself does; and most any impact that actually WOULD damage the screen itself, isn’t gonna be stopped by an adhesive piece of glass.

If you want it for the feel, then - sure, go for it. But if you think it’s actually saving you from screen repairs… it ain’t.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have matte glass screen protectors on my Mini 6 and Air 4 in Zugu cases, no lifting. Have had screen protectors on both for the several months the iPads have been in the cases.

I use my Mini 6 outside when I check my trail cameras. The case alone would not protect the screen from scratches while I’m using the iPad in that outdoor environment.
I agree with you. I’ve had enough chipped/scratched and broken screen protectors that would have been on the screen had they not been there.

I’m like you, I prefer a matte screen protector on the iPad but a clear one on my phone.

My biggest pet peeve is when the oleophobic coating wears off and the screen is all smudges. New screen protector = new slippery feel again.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I agree with you. I’ve had enough chipped/scratched and broken screen protectors that would have been on the screen had they not been there.

I’m like you, I prefer a matte screen protector on the iPad but a clear one on my phone.

My biggest pet peeve is when the oleophobic coating wears off and the screen is all smudges. New screen protector = new slippery feel again.
I haven’t found the matte glass protectors to degrade.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I haven’t found the matte glass protectors to degrade.
I agree the oleophobic feel stays longer on the matte protectors but I haven’t found one that keeps the crisp clarity of the clear screens. For some reason it doesn’t bug me on the iPad but does on the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.