Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stormz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I bought a screen protector for my iPhone 13 Mini last week. It was a Belkin ScreenForce TemperedGlass, the most popular on Amazon at the time. Very easy to apply. Screen sharpness and colours all great.

However I'm really not liking the feel of my screen since applying it. It's just become way too slippery. To the extent that when I set out to tap something, half the time it registers a swipe, because my finger is slipping a tiny bit. It's making my brand new phone a bit of a pain to use, frankly.

I'm not looking for a matte screen finish. Gloss is fine. But not ice rink level. My previous iPhone also had a tempered glass screen protector (TechGear Glass Edition) and it didn't feel anything like this one. It was still glossy, but I guess there was just enough friction between my finger and the screen to make touch operations precise.

Has anyone noticed how screen protectors differ in how slippery they are?

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I bought a screen protector for my iPhone 13 Mini last week. It was a Belkin ScreenForce TemperedGlass, the most popular on Amazon at the time. Very easy to apply. Screen sharpness and colours all great.

However I'm really not liking the feel of my screen since applying it. It's just become way too slippery. To the extent that when I set out to tap something, half the time it registers a swipe, because my finger is slipping a tiny bit. It's making my brand new phone a bit of a pain to use, frankly.

I'm not looking for a matte screen finish. Gloss is fine. But not ice rink level. My previous iPhone also had a tempered glass screen protector (TechGear Glass Edition) and it didn't feel anything like this one. It was still glossy, but I guess there was just enough friction between my finger and the screen to make touch operations precise.

My current Spigen Glas tr is pretty “ice rinky” but I also typically use plastic screen protectors so it may be that I’m used to those.

Reactions: iosholic and Stormz

scott Lashville

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2021

Glass screen protectors usually slip when you have dry AF hands, so get a film screen protector from Gadgetshieldz which I've been using for a long time on my iPhone. It has some grip to it and is not slippery, I usually have dry hands, and even though this protector is not slipping off whenever I use my phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormz

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Screen protectors use a different method to apply an oleophobic coating on it, than what Apple does on their OEM screens. Apple's oleophobic is much more robust and durable than screen protectors which is why it feels more 'grabby' when you slide your fingers across. Screen protectors tend to be much more slippery with their coating but it doesn't last as long.

If you didn't have that slippery feeling on your screen protector though, it would be a fingerprint mess. Just smeared oils everywhere lol

Reactions: Stormz and Ta0jin

Stormz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Glass screen protectors usually slip when you have dry AF hands, so get a film protector from Gadgetshieldz which I've been using for a long time on my iPhone. It has some grip to it and is not slippery, I usually have dry hands, and even though this protector is not slipping off whenever I use my phone.
This being the middle of winter where I am, my hands are indeed dry AF at the moment! Which Gadgetshieldz protector have you been using - ultra-clear or matte?

scott Lashville

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2021
This being the middle of winter where I am, my hands are indeed dry AF at the moment! Which Gadgetshieldz protector have you been using - ultra-clear or matte?
I'm using the ultra-clean protector that is good for dry hands like yours!

Reactions: Stormz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.