Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I just got a 6th Generation iPad mini and I'm looking to get a screen protector for it. Normally, I'd just get whatever Zagg Glass InvisibleShield is out. However, where it was merely an option before, Zagg's only offering for the 6th Generation iPad mini is one with blue light reduction. Yes, I know it's healthier for my eyes. Yes, I know I will eventually tune it out. But, I've been avoiding this because much of what I do/play/consume on an iPad (Hearthstone, Marvel Snap, TV, movies, magazines, graphic novels and comics) entails color.

I've narrowed down my shopping for this screen protector to the following few options:

1. (suck it up and just get the) Zagg InvisibleShield Glass Elite VisionGuard+ (anyway)
2. Spigen GlasTR EZ Fit (Tempered Glass Protector)
3. Insignia HD Glass Screen Protector
4. OtterBox Alpha Glass
5. Paperlike for iPad mini 6th Generation

I know that most of these are glass protectors. I'm not opposed to matte protectors (hence the Paperlike). I won't be doing extensive Apple Pencil drawing either way (maybe a little bit of diagraming here and there).

I'll probably get whatever I buy installed at Best Buy (making Insignia somewhat of a convenient option). I otherwise included the others on here due to them being recognizable. I've otherwise been getting Zagg InvisibileShields put on damn near every device I've owned for the past 14 years. I know there are other brands out there, but this would be my first time branching out in a good while! Any recommendations on either these five options or others that you like?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I just got a 6th Generation iPad mini and I'm looking to get a screen protector for it. Normally, I'd just get whatever Zagg Glass InvisibleShield is out. However, where it was merely an option before, Zagg's only offering for the 6th Generation iPad mini is one with blue light reduction. Yes, I know it's healthier for my eyes. Yes, I know I will eventually tune it out. But, I've been avoiding this because much of what I do/play/consume on an iPad (Hearthstone, Marvel Snap, TV, movies, magazines, graphic novels and comics) entails color.

I've narrowed down my shopping for this screen protector to the following few options:

1. (suck it up and just get the) Zagg InvisibleShield Glass Elite VisionGuard+ (anyway)
2. Spigen GlasTR EZ Fit (Tempered Glass Protector)
3. Insignia HD Glass Screen Protector
4. OtterBox Alpha Glass
5. Paperlike for iPad mini 6th Generation

I know that most of these are glass protectors. I'm not opposed to matte protectors (hence the Paperlike). I won't be doing extensive Apple Pencil drawing either way (maybe a little bit of diagraming here and there).

I'll probably get whatever I buy installed at Best Buy (making Insignia somewhat of a convenient option). I otherwise included the others on here due to them being recognizable. I've otherwise been getting Zagg InvisibileShields put on damn near every device I've owned for the past 14 years. I know there are other brands out there, but this would be my first time branching out in a good while! Any recommendations on either these five options or others that you like?

I went for the Spigen. It's incredibly easy to put on with their alignment tool and looks great. Have had it on for about a year and half now. Put the same on my 14 Pro Max. Highly recommended from my experience.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I like the Ambison matte glass. I have it on several iPads. It’s very resistant to glare and smudges and it doesn’t have the weird sparkle effect that the plastic ones (like PaperLike) do. It also doesn’t show wear like the plastic ones do.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I went for the Spigen. It's incredibly easy to put on with their alignment tool and looks great. Have had it on for about a year and half now. Put the same on my 14 Pro Max. Highly recommended from my experience.

This is quite insightful! Included easy-to-apply tools is a nice sell; I never like to put on the Zagg ones. Will definitely consider this! Thanks!

I like the Ambison matte glass. I have it on several iPads. It’s very resistant to glare and smudges and it doesn’t have the weird sparkle effect that the plastic ones (like PaperLike) do. It also doesn’t show wear like the plastic ones do.
Will look into this one too. I don't generally have a problem with glare (or at least any more of a problem with glare than I would from the bare device as is. But, resistance to smudges isn't a bad thing either! Never heard of this brand! But I'm guessing that, since you have it on multiple iPads, you swear by it enough!

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
How easy is it to apply? Just curious. Part of what I have done is just hand my tablet over to the Best Buy Geek Squad folks and have them do the installation (which I'd imagine I can do with Zagg [since they're a Zagg Authorized warranty/service provider] and Insignia [because that's also Best Buy], and probably Spigen too since that's a popular enough brand). Certainly, I'm more than okay doing it myself; I've just never had an easy time doing so.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
How easy is it to apply? Just curious. Part of what I have done is just hand my tablet over to the Best Buy Geek Squad folks and have them do the installation (which I'd imagine I can do with Zagg [since they're a Zagg Authorized warranty/service provider] and Insignia [because that's also Best Buy], and probably Spigen too since that's a popular enough brand). Certainly, I'm more than okay doing it myself; I've just never had an easy time doing so.
I haven’t found is all that hard to apply (and I’ve applied quite a few) but make sure that the screen is absolutely clean. I also put tape on both short edges of the front of the screen protector to make it easier to handle without touching the screen protector on the edges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.