Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolflmg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2020
I have used the amfilm one in the past, but for the last two years or so I haven’t been using one and with me getting a new iPad Pro next week I’m wondering if I should go back to using one. I do always keep my iPad in its case and when I’m not using it have the cover over the screen. I do use the Apple Pencil for drawling, so it’s important that if I do get a screen protector that it plays nice with the pencil. I have read some review that some screen protectors do not get along well with the Pencil. I also have concerns with the screen protector maybe causing bright white spots to the iPad screen. My old iPad, I didn’t even have it for a year and one bright white spot showed up on the screen. I’m not sure if the protector was the culprit, as I did find articles online of how my iPads model did have an issue with some of the units getting bright white spots. Thankfully the Apple Store replaced it and I never had another white spot appear again. Whether I just had a defective unit or if it was the screen protector that caused it, is anyone guess.

Reactions: yitwail

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I have used the amfilm one in the past, but for the last two years or so I haven’t been using one and with me getting a new iPad Pro next week I’m wondering if I should go back to using one. I do always keep my iPad in its case and when I’m not using it have the cover over the screen. I do use the Apple Pencil for drawling, so it’s important that if I do get a screen protector that it plays nice with the pencil. I have read some review that some screen protectors do not get along well with the Pencil. I also have concerns with the screen protector maybe causing bright white spots to the iPad screen. My old iPad, I didn’t even have it for a year and one bright white spot showed up on the screen. I’m not sure if the protector was the culprit, as I did find articles online of how my iPads model did have an issue with some of the units getting bright white spots. Thankfully the Apple Store replaced it and I never had another white spot appear again. Whether I just had a defective unit or if it was the screen protector that caused it, is anyone guess.

I have never used a screen protector on an iPad, going back to the original. I’ve used my 2018 iPad Pro 11” with the Apple Pencil since release, and the screen is still flawless. As long as it’s covered when not in use and just generally treated somewhat carefully otherwise, you should be fine.

Reactions: Rafterman

Wolflmg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2020
I have never used a screen protector on an iPad, going back to the original. I’ve used my 2018 iPad Pro 11” with the Apple Pencil since release, and the screen is still flawless. As long as it’s covered when not in use and just generally treated somewhat carefully otherwise, you should be fine.
Yeah, I always treat my devices like they are baby’s that need to be cared for gently.

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I’ve never used a screen protector on an iPad, but my iPads don’t leave my home. iPhones yes, iPads no.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I didn't start using screen protectors until Apple changed the coating on the screens (iPad Air 1). Since then, I always use a matte screen protector on my iPads (...from the 12.9 Pro down to the Mini 5 and everything in between).

The screen protectors cut down on glare, eliminate fingerprint smudges, provide an ever-so-slight resistance for the Pencil, and allow my finger to glide smoothly.

It also keeps the resistance consistent when using the Pencil. Without a protector, I noticed that the screen would be a bit more slippery when the pencil tip ran across a spot where fingerprint oil was present. Before protectors, I was constantly wiping the screen down... with protectors, not so often, and when I do, a cotton pad with a little alcohol does a great job.

Reactions: toughkitty5

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Personal preference so you'll have to weigh it and decide...

For me, I don't use screen protectors on any of my devices as they can affect the display quality since you're adding an additional layer for the light to pass through. Some screen protectors will increase refractions and distort colors.

I have only broken 1 iPhone screen in the last 8 years or so and my CC phone insurance paid for a new device. So I was only out $50 for a broken screen and cracked back. And I only was out $50 as the device was old enough that my Apple Care+ had just expired. These devices are built to be used. So I don't try to cover it up like a museum piece. After all, I'm not keeping it "pristine" so I can sell it to someone else who'd get to enjoy it fully...

For the iPad some users find the matte screen protectors to really enhance the writing and drawing side of it though. I haven't tried one out to see how I feel about that. But again, that's a preference thing.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Always,

I keyboard cases will cause minor scratches to an ipad screen. (and YES I have the official Apple keyboard case folio)

I’ve had my iPad in the the Magic Keyboard since release and it has no marks from they keys.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
iCarez Matte screen protectors are a must for me - I'm a reader and I do a fair amount of Apple Pencil writing. I've never broken an iPad screen. I use these on my iPhones --- my whole family saw them and asked for the same on their iPads and iPhones (I've installed 4+ over the years).

Reactions: sracer

Weed

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2021
Screen protectors are tacky and completely unnecessary on Apple products unless you're planning to roughhouse them.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I have had some bad experiences with screen protectors on other devices, such as tiny grains migrating under the screen protector and pockmarking the screen, damaged anti-reflective coatings, and being more reflective in the first place.
With my phone (without a screen protector), the screen has gotten micro scratches from putting it in my pocket with other things, but this is unlikely to happen on an iPad.
I now go without screen protectors, and just try to be careful. If I go out, I use a smart folio/cover.
I have smashed an iPad by dropping it on concrete, but a screen protector would obviously have made no difference.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I quit using screen protectors on tablets. I removed the tempered glass screen protector from my 6th iPad and I didn’t put one on my 9th Gen iPad. The gorilla glass materials being currently used can easily handle abuse. I even took a pair of car keys and tried to scratch the living hell to an old iPad 2 and it did not even faze the glass.

Now Phones are a much different story because we take them outside and risk dropping them on the pavement. I still use tempered glass screen protectors on my phones.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
wish i could somehow show you my screen, maybe i just have bad luck?

I definitely believe you. Who knows why some people get the key marks and some don't?

I had a 2013 MBA that had horrible key marks on a lot of the screen, but my wife's identical 2014 was flawless.

Reactions: eclipse01

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
On phones im always using one (glass protector), so decided to get one for the Mini 6 (different brand from the one im using on the phone).
All in all its nice, not effecting the front camera, super smooth and no finger marks (as long as its new…), but i had to order matte version coz of the reflection/glare, not sure if without it was the same or less, but is a bit annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.