Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Netherscurial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Hello,

I bought a Macbook Pro 2.33 17inch back in December and have had a uneven screen problem ever since then. Around the time I first got it I had them replace it 2 times because the screen was really uneven, after the third time I gave up, wanting to waiting till they got better screens. Gradients also look horrible, being banded, not smooth....of course this is due partly because they are using 6bit screen instead of 8bit and partly because of the dithering they are using.

Also another problem is the latch, it seems to get stuck and have to hit several times to get it open most of the time....it's been like this since I got it...one of the mac genius played around with it and got it working better but it still does it somewhat...

So I know there's a class action lawsuit going on about the quality of the screens...has anyone heard of the status of this lawsuit? As i want to bring my macbook pro back to the store and see if they can either fix or replace it... I'm a graphic designer and can't have a uneven screen.

Are the new ones better as far as screen quality?

Thanks!

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
The Macbook Pro screen are still 6bit screens instead of 8bit.

The only screen that has changed is the 15'' screens (17'' are still the same), and it's only the backlight (LED), so it don't affect in any way the number of colors the computer can display.

As for the "uneven", what is uneven, the backlight or the colors ? Anyway, I've heard a perfectly uniform light in a LCD, especially in laptops, is really hard to find.

In my opinion you should rather spend your time and money in an external screen. If you are really concerned about uniformity and color accuracy, you should go for a big fat CRT.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Dithering is one thing, and if that is the case, according to the suit, Windows has better dithering, so as much as it pains me, you may want to go that way.

However, about the 6bit vs 8bit issue... no laptop, anywhere, with a screen smaller than 19" has an 8bit panel, they simply don't make them. So that aspect of the suit, as well as people's complaints are founded in ignorance, however justified they feel the suit may be.

The Macbook Pro screen are still 6bit screens instead of 8bit.

The only screen that has changed is the 15'' screens (17'' are still the same), and it's only the backlight (LED), so it don't affect in any way the number of colors the computer can display.

As for the "uneven", what is uneven, the backlight or the colors ? Anyway, I've heard a perfectly uniform light in a LCD, especially in laptops, is really hard to find.

In my opinion you should rather spend your time and money in an external screen. If you are really concerned about uniformity and color accuracy, you should go for a big fat CRT.

Or a Dell 2407HDCFPW screen which has 92% color gamut, as well as at least an 8bit panel. Dell ultrasharp monitors are some the highest rated in the industry

Netherscurial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
thanks guys...

When i say uneven I mean a not uniform backlight.....if I drag a photoshop doc around with a darker flat color filled and have it fill the whole screen, one part will be darker than the other.
Now I realize laptop wont be totally perfect, but I've seen them better....the older powerbook models had an almost perfect uniform backlight and even the new macbook screens are pretty even.

And yes I do have a external monitor but sometimes I am on the road so cant tote a big screen around, and plus Apple advertises these machines for use for graphic professionals so they should have even screens and good dithering.

I think I will just up there and plead my case logically and calmly and see what they can do.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
thanks guys...

When i say uneven I mean a not uniform backlight.....if I drag a photoshop doc around with a darker flat color filled and have it fill the whole screen, one part will be darker than the other.
Now I realize laptop wont be totally perfect, but I've seen them better....the older powerbook models had an almost perfect uniform backlight and even the new macbook screens are pretty even.

And yes I do have a external monitor but sometimes I am on the road so cant tote a big screen around, and plus Apple advertises these machines for use for graphic professionals so they should have even screens and good dithering.

I think I will just up there and plead my case logically and calmly and see what they can do.

This is really bad that a laptop marketed for graphics professionals have suck poor screens. I've seen them in person - my old iMac's screen is MUCH better.

I feel your pain :(

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Thought Apple shouldn't say "millions of colors" when the display only has 262.144 of them it's really stupid to switch machine/screen all the time because one think it suck because ALL ****ING TN PANELS SUCK.
If you don't want it don't buy a machine with a TN panel, simple as that.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Thought Apple shouldn't say "millions of colors" when the display only has 262.144 of them it's really stupid to switch machine/screen all the time because one think it suck because ALL ****ING TN PANELS SUCK.
If you don't want it don't buy a machine with a TN panel, simple as that.

Aye what he said...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.