Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dragônico

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Hello;

I have a problem using the iPhone screen recorder, I preferred to record the video on YouTube for easy understanding, follow the video link:

The video was recorded in Portuguese for the Apple Brazil forum, but in the video I show the difference in the quality of the recording when the white bar (at the bottom of the video) appears, and disappears. A change in quality is perceived when the white bar is present and not present. The image is only good when I touch the iPhone screen, consequently when I touch the screen, the white bar appears and the image is good, when I stop touching the screen, the white bar disappears and the image is bad.

If anyone can help me, I will be very grateful!

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Upload the video at 1080P from the YouTube app or YouTube.com.

On YouTube's servers the video will automatically get compressed down to three smaller sizes, 360p, 480p and 720p. The original will keep its same size (1080p) but it has to be converted to YouTube's format on their server too.

All this takes time. The high res 1080p video and often the 720p version won't be available to view until the conversions take place. Depending on how long the video is, it can take a few minutes or several hours after uploading.

The top right corner of a YouTube video (3 dots) lets you choose a playback resolution if you click it. Click it and you can see what resolutions are currently available.

Reactions: Dragônico

Dragônico

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Upload the video at 1080P from the YouTube app or YouTube.com.

On YouTube's servers the video will automatically get compressed down to three smaller sizes, 360p, 480p and 720p. The original will keep its same size (1080p) but it has to be converted to YouTube's format on their server too.

All this takes time. The high res 1080p video and often the 720p version won't be available to view until the conversions take place. Depending on how long the video is, it can take a few minutes or several hours after uploading.

The top right corner of a YouTube video (3 dots) lets you choose a playback resolution if you click it. Click it and you can see what resolutions are currently available.

The video was uploaded natively at 1080p60. This "distortion" in the quality of the video happens before I upload it to YouTube.

Reactions: now i see it

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I think that's just Apple's recording quality. I don't think it offers 100% uncompressed video quality for their screen recording feature. In fact, it doesn't even record in the resolution of the display, it's scaled to 1920.

Dragônico

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
I think that's just Apple's recording quality. I don't think it offers 100% uncompressed video quality for their screen recording feature. In fact, it doesn't even record in the resolution of the display, it's scaled to 1920.

Apparently the problem is not the resolution, the video oscillates between good and bad quality. What confuses me is: Why does the quality decrease when I simply stop touching the iphone screen and consequently the white bar disappears?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
There's more than a few bugs in iOS. This likely is another one and probably not considered important enough to fix. More pressing problems get priority.

Dragônico

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
There's more than a few bugs in iOS. This likely is another one and probably not considered important enough to fix. More pressing problems get priority.

It's sad, because I depend on it to make quality videos for my YouTube channel. Perhaps the only way I could solve it would be to buy a lightning / hdmi adapter to connect the iPhone to a capture card (Avermedia, Elgato). It would be a very expensive solution.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
It's sad, because I depend on it to make quality videos for my YouTube channel. Perhaps the only way I could solve it would be to buy a lightning / hdmi adapter to connect the iPhone to a capture card (Avermedia, Elgato). It would be a very expensive solution.
If you own a mac you can simply record your screen with Quicktime. For Windows try Reflector.

Dragônico

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
If you own a mac you can simply record your screen with Quicktime. For Windows try Reflector.

Guys, this problem probably happens specifically with the game I recorded (Herodom), because I realized that the white bar does not disappear in other iOS apps and games when I stop touching the screen.

Because the game Herodom is new and indie, there is always a greater chance of having bugs, there was some carelessness on the part of the programmers. Anyway, if I notice this same problem in another game, I will understand that it was a "programming error". I hope it doesn't happen again. Anyway, thanks to everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.