Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igorcv88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Brazil
Hi, what is the best program to record my Macbook screen? I need to record the audio inside the computer, like videos. So I cant use QuickTime Right?
So, what is the program that you like the most?

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi, what is the best program to record my Macbook screen? I need to record the audio inside the computer, like videos. So I cant use QuickTime Right?
So, what is the program that you like the most?

I've been using ScreenFlow for ages. The latest version works under 10.8.1 just great and records everything reliably.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
How do you export the recording to your Mac without using 150% of CPU?

Generally, as it's indeed very CPU-dependent, I don't use Export unless I really need e.g. YouTube-compliant H.264 footage. I use the original files it creates for later playback.

So, you're looking for screen recorders directly recording to H.264 files?

igorcv88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Brazil
Generally, as it's indeed very CPU-dependent, I don't use Export unless I really need e.g. YouTube-compliant H.264 footage. I use the original files it creates for later playback.

So, you're looking for screen recorders directly recording to H.264 files?

No, any format. Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
How do you export the recording to your Mac without using 150% of CPU?
With "export" you really mean exporting, don't you?
When I use ScreenFlow and after the recording is done and export it to one of many formats (most often .mov using the Apple Intermediate Codec), the CPU spikes too, since exporting is a CPU intensive tasks.

But if you mean recording, then ScreenFlow uses much less resources during recording than QT X does, that is why I prefer ScreenFlow.

No, any format. Thanks
As far as I know, all screen recorders use a highly compressive codec to store recorded footage in.

Or am I just misunderstanding you?

Btw, your thread is tagged as resolved, I don't know, if that is true, since you still seem to be looking.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
As far as I know, all screen recorders use a highly compressive codec to store recorded footage in.

Based on my existing recordings, I've quickly calculated the average storage usage of a WUXGA (1920 * 1200) screen + low-res front camera + one-channel audio recording I have on my 17" MBP; it's 1.08 Mbyte/s, of which the WUXGA screen recording might take about 900 kB/s. Generally, in my practice, when trancsocing them to H.264 (using the built-in Export), the size effectively decreases by 70%.

That is, the original footage could be more compressed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.