Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l008com

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
I'm trying to make some gameplay youtube videos. I play a game in full-screen mode and use Quicktime to record the screen. It generally works well, but sometimes it skips. Occasionally, it skips a lot. There's no obvious reason why it's skipping. It's a Mac Pro with an SSD boot drive, 32 GB of RAM, an RX 480 GPU, a 6 core CPU with hyperthreading. And I'm not running anything else while I'm making these recordings, just OpenEmu and quicktime.

Is there a better way to make screen recordings? Something that can cleanly capture 60fps?

I'm currently running Mojave on that machine so I posted this here.

l008com

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
After making this post, I was poking around with the "Screen Capture" app and found it is a lot more convenient to do screen recordings with that, vs using the Quicktime app. BUT it's the same quality of recording so that doesn't actually change anything.

Also, I'm only recording at 720p resolution (1280 x 720), which should be even "easier" to record and not drop frames.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.