Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quicksilver1999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2016
So, I've owned an iPad Air since 2014, and I don't think it had any screen retention when I first bought it, but then again, I probably just never noticed. I only realized that it started to create faint images of pretty much any apps that I open for more than 5 minutes (or even less). The ghost images are mostly visible on gray or dark colored backgrounds, and almost impossible or difficult to see on lighter or moving colors, like white.

The screen retention disappears kinda quickly when I turn off the screen, which is good, but it annoys me that it creates new ghost images when I use an app for a few minutes, causing me to get distracted by a faint image of Safari's address bar on my wallpaper. The clarity of the screen retention depends on how long I had the screen open, but they seem to fade away at the same speed when I lock the iPad or turn off the screen.

It never had this problem (I think, probably I just never noticed it before) until I upgraded it from iOS 8 to iOS 10.

For now, I have no plans on upgrading to an iPad Pro, so I have to stick with my iPad Air for a while. Can't afford it for now.

Is there anyway to prevent it from creating ghost images? I've seen methods like leaving the screen showing white at full brightness, but I know that's only for the longer-termed image retentions. Mine literally just burns into the screen when exposed to a still image long enough (eg: health bars) and fade really fast when I turn off the screen, only for it to create a new retention.

Is this a type of screen retention/persistence? I don't know. I could just ignore it, but if any of you know this kind of screen retention and a way to fix or at least reduce the effects, that would be helpful.

Once I get an iPad Pro, I have to pass this one on to my brother, who also worries about screen-related problems.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Dude, don't scare me. I have this so much on my iMac, but never on iOS devices. I try to not use hte screen when it doesn't have to be on, and i switch apps a lot thankfully. But dont tell me i might have to keep an eye out to prevent this from happening on my air2. freaking me out!

Quicksilver1999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2016
Dude, don't scare me. I have this so much on my iMac, but never on iOS devices. I try to not use hte screen when it doesn't have to be on, and i switch apps a lot thankfully. But dont tell me i might have to keep an eye out to prevent this from happening on my air2. freaking me out!

Yeah, well that's difficult for me especially when I'm using Safari or a game with health bars. It makes an image retention for like a single minute and gets clearer and clearer the longer the image stays. I just hope this is caused by updating using an ISPW file and will be fixed when I update to the next version of iOS 10.

I am 90% certain my Air wasn't doing this when it was still iOS 8...
[doublepost=1476459781][/doublepost]Is there a possibility this is simply a software bug? Maybe it was the IPSW...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.