Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FilipeTeixeira

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
I've been reading a lot of threads about scratches and coating peeling off from macbook pros. However, I wasn't able to find yet something concrete about it.
I have a 2009 macbook pro 15", a macbook air 11" 2011 and now a macbook pro 13" 2015. I never had issues with the first two, despite packing them the same way, and despite using them exactly the same way.

However, the later, has some scratches on the screen caused by the keyboard. Apple said that they will replace the screen free of charge as it is still under warranty, but I wonder how common this issue really is, and what can I do to prevent it. I don't feel like having to carry a microfibre cloth all the time.

I'm always careful to not put too much pressure on the mac when carrying it on a backpack, and I clean the screen with the microfibre cloth apple gives with the computer so I wonder how to prevent this or if it was just bad luck. I know that a couple of posts mentioning scratches doesn't necessarily mean that there is a generalised problem.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It is a general problem. Place a thin cloth between the keyboard and the LCD when it is closed. Some ppl leave the cloth for cleaning in there.

This. This exactly what I do and I make sure it's lint free thin Cloth. It's the method I have always used and my displays have always been in pristine condition because of it. Especially if your someone who travels and there is is a lot movement with the laptop in the case.

Reactions: FilipeTeixeira

FilipeTeixeira

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
This. This exactly what I do and I make sure it's lint free thin Cloth. It's the method I have always used and my displays have always been in pristine condition because of it. Especially if your someone who travels and there is is a lot movement with the laptop in the case.

It is a general problem. Place a thin cloth between the keyboard and the LCD when it is closed. Some ppl leave the cloth for cleaning in there.

Any particular brand or type of cloth? I've heard that the RadTech are quite good but I can't find them in Belgium and they seem to be quite expensive for what they are.
It's a bit sad that this happens to such a high end computer.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Any particular brand or type of cloth? I've heard that the RadTech are quite good but I can't find them in Belgium and they seem to be quite expensive for what they are.
It's a bit sad that this happens to such a high end computer.

This is what I use listed below. It works really well, it serves as a cleaning cloth and a protector between the keyboard and display. I highly recommend it. Comes in multiple sizes for your MacBook. And you receive three in a pack.

https://www.amazon.com/Clean-Screen-Wizard-Microfiber-Protective/dp/B00Y1HFLAM

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Right now, there are lots of air bubbles under mine, I believe Apple has some secrete replacement program for the lamination. I bought my Early 2015 at a store in the US, so I won't be able to get it fixed until I return next year. I don't think I should have to place cloth on the keyboard to fix it. I don't have to do it for my Surface Pro 3, HP Elitebook or cheap Acer laptop.

FilipeTeixeira

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
Right now, there are lots of air bubbles under mine, I believe Apple has some secrete replacement program for the lamination. I bought my Early 2015 at a store in the US, so I won't be able to get it fixed until I return next year. I don't think I should have to place cloth on the keyboard to fix it. I don't have to do it for my Surface Pro 3, HP Elitebook or cheap Acer laptop.

I feel you on this one. I really don't get it why this happens so easily. Is it the screen, or are we missing something here?
A screen shouldn't scratch just because some plastic keys touch it. And to carry a cloth just to make sure it stays ok, it's not something we should have to do.
About yours, you can replace the screen wherever you are, as long as they have an authorised repair store there. It doesn't matter where in the world you got it.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
This from a few months earlier when it wasn't so bad:
file1(3).jpeg file(8).jpeg

Now, its really worst:
file(9).jpeg
[doublepost=1496009312][/doublepost]
I feel you on this one. I really don't get it why this happens so easily. Is it the screen, or are we missing something here?
A screen shouldn't scratch just because some plastic keys touch it. And to carry a cloth just to make sure it stays ok, it's not something we should have to do.
About yours, you can replace the screen wherever you are, as long as they have an authorised repair store there. It doesn't matter where in the world you got it.
I feel more comfortable taking it to the store where I bought it. This is Jamaica and even though there are authorized repair shops, I am just going to get the run around. I will simply schedule a genius store appointment at least a couple weeks in advance before I arrive in the US. I will also have printed copies of proof of the programs existence.

When I originally bought it and set it up in the store, I planned on keeping all the contents of the box, including the included keyboard Styrofoam protector, but this obnoxious store employee just came by the table, and took it away like he had nothing better to do.

FilipeTeixeira

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
This from a few months earlier when it wasn't so bad:
View attachment 701332 View attachment 701333

Now, its really worst:
View attachment 701334
[doublepost=1496009312][/doublepost]
I feel more comfortable taking it to the store where I bought it. This is Jamaica and even though there are authorized repair shops, I am just going to get the run around. I will simply schedule a genius store appointment at least a couple weeks in advance before I arrive in the US. I will also have printed copies of proof of the programs existence.

When I originally bought it and set it up in the store, I planned on keeping all the contents of the box, including the included keyboard Styrofoam protector, but this obnoxious store employee just came by the table, and took it away like he had nothing better to do.

Well I think that your case is different from mine. I don't have smudges but really deep scratches. I think that they are coming from the trackpad area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.