Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macTheUser32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
I bought iPhone 11 Pro some 6 months ago. I kept it away from hard surfaces. Never stuck it in my pocket with keys. Only inside a pocket on its own.

I came from iPhone 6s. And I feel like the screen of 11 Pro scratches way too easily. I already have a scratch that I cannot buff out and I can feel it under my fingertips.

Does anyone else feel like the 11 pro screens are extra scratch fragile? (even for an iPhone)

P.s- yes I know screen protectors exist. I didnt use them on my 5 years old 6s and didnt get so many scrathes as I did with my 11 pro in 5 months :D :(

• Haha
Reactions: Fred Zed

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
I’m not saying this to be that guy, but scratches simply do not just appear.

Something will have caused it, maybe grit or dirt inside a pocket or holding the phone with something next to it that scratched it.

As mentioned they are softer in terms of scratch resistance but you can find YouTube tests showing just how hard they are to actually scratch still.

I know it’s annoying, you could get a screen protector fitted and that may actually mask or hide the scratch completely if it really bothers you.

Was the phone brand new when you bought it? Or refurbished? As it may not have a genuine screen fitted if that’s the case.

macTheUser32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Hi guys.
To answer some questions you asked :)
1. Brand new purchased. (I love it to bits. Amazing screen and amazing camera!)
2.RRC not going to challenge it. Yes scratches dont appear on their own. (small goblins dragging their toothpicks at night :D ). I can 90% say it might be dirt in the pockets or simply inner texture of the jean pockets.

But like I said 6s was a terminator when it came to the screen protection.

Why Apple decided to go for shatter resistance over strach is beyond me. Your screen gets in to abrasive contact with surfaces every day. Not every day you drop your phone.

St@*id if you ask me. :(

Reactions: DavidInSydney

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Congrats! You have your first scratch. Now you can use your iPhone freely without worrying anymore.

The first scratch is the hardest and from then on you're free from the obsessing about scratches on a finite consumable product.

I actually took my screen protector off and the screen looks much better. Especially the OLED blacks.

macTheUser32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
P.s- I really dont want screen protectors. Even the best ones I found still obscure wonderful clarity and colours and sharpness of the screen (11pro had a very nice screen. Miles away from what I was accustomed to with 6s or even mothers 8)

macTheUser32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Congrats! You have your first scratch. Now you can use your iPhone freely without worrying anymore.

The first scratch is the hardest and from then on you're free from the obsessing about scratches on a finite consumable product.

I actually took my screen protector off and the screen looks much better. Especially the OLED blacks.
HAhahhaahahhhahahah eeeexactlly!! Once you get your 1st you can finally chill. :D :D I totally feel like this.

And yes I just wrote a comment on my stance on screen protectors in general. Ok if you want to use them. But they obscure picture quality. (even the best ones).

If they didnt obscure at all. Well Apple would have used them and pre-instal them (for a astronomical fee ofc) and have best of both worlds: shatter and scratch proof.

Reactions: DavidInSydney

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
HAhahhaahahhhahahah eeeexactlly!! Once you get your 1st you can finally chill. :D :D I totally feel like this.

And yes I just wrote a comment on my stance on screen protectors in general. Ok if you want to use them. But they obscure picture quality. (even the best ones).

If they didnt obscure at all. Well Apple would have used them and pre-instal them (for a astronomical fee ofc) and have best of both worlds: shatter and scratch proof.
I'll tell you what though, that moment in time where your iPhone is absolutely in mint condition and not having a scratch is annoying. Constant babying and inspecting it for any scratches. Then when it finally happens it's like ahhhh I can finally rest

macTheUser32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Truuueee mate. I babied it so much!

But seriously Apple. Why invest in shatter proofing screens when scratches and danger of scratching occur every day. How many people drop their phones so much that its a good feature to have?

I had phones for at least 15 years. I can count times I dropped mine.

I guess the fumbling halfwits who keep dropping their phones were louder in their complaining to Apple about their screens shattering. Than others who just dont want to have a scratch from keeping the phone in anything but silk pouch.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Truuueee mate. I babied it so much!

But seriously Apple. Why invest in shatter proofing screens when scratches and danger of scratching occur every day. How many people drop their phones so much that its a good feature to have?

I had phones for at least 15 years. I can count times I dropped mine.

I guess the fumbling halfwits who keep dropping their phones were louder in their complaining to Apple about their screens shattering. Than others who just dont want to have a scratch from keeping the phone in anything but silk pouch.
Considering how much a screen replacement costs on oled iPhones, I'd trade scratch resistance for shatter resistance any day.. Scratches are only cosmetic, cracks/shattering can effect the function of the device

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
P.s- I really dont want screen protectors. Even the best ones I found still obscure wonderful clarity and colours and sharpness of the screen (11pro had a very nice screen. Miles away from what I was accustomed to with 6s or even mothers 8)
I’ve started to put a screen protector on as soon as I take it out of the box. I never really noticed a difference anyways, but that might help since you’ll never know what it looks like without it!
I noticed the screens started scratching easier ever since the iPhone 6, probably due to the larger screen size and focus on shatter resistance.

macTheUser32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
Considering how much a screen replacement costs on oled iPhones, I'd trade scratch resistance for shatter resistance any day.. Scratches are only cosmetic, cracks/shattering can effect the function of the device

True, shatter is more devastating from function side. But how many times do you drop your phone vs how many times do you expose your screen to abrasive surfaces and develop these 1000 cuts?

Frankly if you drop your phone so much that shatter resistance is your selling point. Than you mate need a gyroscopic phone case :D

Samsung has a nice scratch vs shatter balance on their screens (and Apple buys their screens from Samsung).

Reactions: Motionblurrr

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Although I understand being anti-screen protector, I've found that the Belkin UltraGlass they sell and install at the Apple Store retains like 99% of the screen quality, colors, sharpness (sharpness is the same thankfully) and the OLED blacks are as inky as they're going to get vs no screen protector.

I say this as someone who notices these things and I no longer buy Amazon/ebay/boutique screen protectors anymore. It's either what Apple recommends or not. I'm pretty sure Apple looked into how much Belkin affects screen quality and Apple is supppper picky. They want their screens to shine.

baking soda

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2020
Italy
Yes, and that's exactly why I apply a screen protector the moment I peel off the brand new protection when you get the phone out of the box. I'd much rather have to "stand" a screen protector than seeing micro scratches every time I inspect my phone (yes I happen to do that frequently)

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
had no scratch on iPhone 1, 4 and 5 displays. Even though they fell down a couple of times.

Then i got a hairline scratch after just 2 weeks on my iPhone 7 and after few days on my iPhone X. Had no idea how, they were just there one day. Never got more scratches afterwards though, even if the phones fell down. (but dents on the sides)

Now i have been using my 12 Mini for a year and can't see a single scratch.

Feels very random.

But to me a screen protector is constantly annoying and a few hairline scratches i only notice every now and then.

DavidInSydney

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
I’m not saying this to be that guy, but scratches simply do not just appear.

Something will have caused it, maybe grit or dirt inside a pocket or holding the phone with something next to it that scratched it.

As mentioned they are softer in terms of scratch resistance but you can find YouTube tests showing just how hard they are to actually scratch still.

I know it’s annoying, you could get a screen protector fitted and that may actually mask or hide the scratch completely if it really bothers you.

Was the phone brand new when you bought it? Or refurbished? As it may not have a genuine screen fitted if that’s the case.
Brand new. Might have to try a screen protector, but imagine it would lead to a loss in sensitivity.

DavidInSydney

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Although I understand being anti-screen protector, I've found that the Belkin UltraGlass they sell and install at the Apple Store retains like 99% of the screen quality, colors, sharpness (sharpness is the same thankfully) and the OLED blacks are as inky as they're going to get vs no screen protector.

I say this as someone who notices these things and I no longer buy Amazon/ebay/boutique screen protectors anymore. It's either what Apple recommends or not. I'm pretty sure Apple looked into how much Belkin affects screen quality and Apple is supppper picky. They want their screens to shine.
Good suggestion, I’m buying one. Thanks.

Reactions: Motionblurrr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.