Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hey all,

I just remotely installed Mavericks from work because I'm install happy right now, and after my home Mac rebooted, I could no longer screen share.

Using a Mountain Lion iMac, I could connect as myself and view my files. But when I hit Share Screen it would ask me to make sure screen sharing is enabled on the remote computer, which it most definitely was.

Is this a Mountain Lion to Mavericks incompatibility perhaps? Or maybe it switched off screen sharing for some reason? Who knows.

I even checked a couple of plist files and screen sharing does seem to be enabled, but the way the settings are stored may have changed with Mavericks.

We probably won't update the work computers just yet.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Update:

Looks like it's probably an incompatibility thing. I rebooted the Mountain Lion iMac, and the Share Screen button no longer appears on the toolbar in the Finder when I click on my home Mac. I only see a "Connect as..." option now.

My guess is that Mavericks can only receive sharing sessions from Mavericks. I'll have to test if it works the other way around, Mavericks to Mountain Lion sharing, but it's probably the same deal.

Hopefully we'll update the work Macs soon enough.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
I screen shared all day from Mavericks to ML before I got the server upgraded yesterday.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
The settings are pretty much the same from my tinkering. I can't comment much on these things though as everything is managed and propagated through the server so I have little control on the local system. I just use screen sharing lots and know that after I upgraded to Maverick, the server app wasn't released yet so it was still running ML and I was able to share it's screen. In fact, now that I think about it I was ale to share the remote disk from the server back to my laptop, so sharing was working that way in a basic form at least.

Check your firewall settings under the privacy settings.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
The settings are pretty much the same from my tinkering. I can't comment much on these things though as everything is managed and propagated through the server so I have little control on the local system. I just use screen sharing lots and know that after I upgraded to Maverick, the server app wasn't released yet so it was still running ML and I was able to share it's screen. In fact, now that I think about it I was ale to share the remote disk from the server back to my laptop, so sharing was working that way in a basic form at least.

Check your firewall settings under the privacy settings.

Okay. Hmm when I got home, I noticed it was asking me for my iCloud password. That might be the problem. The setup screen might have been interfering, perhaps. Although strangely, Back To My Mac was still working.

I'll try it again when I'm in the office next week.

Thanks for your replies!

dmkahn

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
mavericks to mavericks wasn't working for me after the upgrade, I had to muck around with the firewall settings on the target and restart it. Just changing the firewall settings on the target wasn't enough.

turning off the firewall allowed the connection without a restart, but I couldn't figure out why it was still being blocked after restarting the firewall and removing (what I think was a stale entry) for screensharingd.

I'm guessing it's the same issue with anything to mavericks, where the screen to be shared is running mavericks.

I believe that any change to firewall settings might require a restart at this point. (other than turning it off).

-David

Last edited:

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I ran into similar issues too. For the computer you want to remote to, make sure in Settings, under the list of users who are allowed to Screen Share or Remote Manage, it's not set to Administrators, but rather, the specific user that you would log in as.

This changed during the upgrade for whatever reason, but adding the actual user on the computer into the list of approved Remote Admins fixed this for me; and it also brought back the Screen Sharing icon on the network.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
This might explain why all worked for me as I was already set up with individual user authentication in that list for tighter security and control in ML.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Update:

So it turns out that after installing Mavericks, the Screen Sharing option under Sharing preferences was turned off for whatever reason.

I turned it back on and it's working now. Writing this post remotely haha.

Weird how it would shut that setting off though. Maybe there are new defaults for certain things for security reasons, and those defaults even override whatever the previous settings were. That's my guess.

Update:

So it turns out that after installing Mavericks, the Screen Sharing option under Sharing preferences was turned off for whatever reason.

I turned it back on and it's working now. Writing this post remotely haha.

Weird how it would shut that setting off though. Maybe there are new defaults for certain things for security reasons, and those defaults even override whatever the previous settings were. That's my guess.

EXACTLY! That's the most frustrating thing - After upgrading to Mavericks, it automatically turns off screen sharing for whatever reason. I have 3 headless Mac Minis (2 database servers and 1 for an entertainment system) in addition to my Mac Pro and Macbook Pro - and each time I upgrade, I've had to turn it back on. FRUSTRATING!

Honolulu31

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2021
It seems you are facing issue with Mavericks. I would recommend using tools like logmein, R-HUB remote support servers etc. for effectively accessing your MAC computers remotely. These are easy to use and work on all platforms viz Windows, MAC, Android, iOS etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.