Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokutus25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2016
Am I the only one to think it's stupid that I can't wake up my iMac to share his screen while it's on standby? I mean, without a Time Capsule or Apple TV?
I have an iMac and a Mac Book Pro. I'm walking on crutches and I find very stupid this from OSX.
I hope I'm wrong and I just need to find how this can be done.
BTW...I'd prefere not to force the iMac to never sleep... :)
Thx in advance for your experience!!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Am I the only one to think it's stupid that I can't wake up my iMac to share his screen while it's on standby? I mean, without a Time Capsule or Apple TV?
I have an iMac and a Mac Book Pro. I'm walking on crutches and I find very stupid this from OSX.
I hope I'm wrong and I just need to find how this can be done.
BTW...I'd prefere not to force the iMac to never sleep... :)
Thx in advance for your experience!!
You can use a generic Wake-on-LAN utility without having any Apple networking products.

lokutus25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2016
You can use a generic Wake-on-LAN utility without having any Apple networking products.

Hi, actually I tried. I used the WakeMe app, installed from the AppStore.
On the sleeping iMac I flagged the option for the activation via network. While in standby the iMac doesn't wake up.
It's connected via Ethernet, not WiFi btw.

Did you tried? Did it worked for you?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi, actually I tried. I used the WakeMe app, installed from the AppStore.
On the sleeping iMac I flagged the option for the activation via network. While in standby the iMac doesn't wake up.
It's connected via Ethernet, not WiFi btw.

Did you tried? Did it worked for you?
I haven't used one recently but I've used generic wake on LAN with Macs for years, and they have worked.

lokutus25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2016

Hi, I did some test. Basically...the WakeMe app doesn't work. At least from my mac book pro.
I used a Linux notebook and his wakeonlan cli command and it worked and I'm happy.
I tried the Fing app from my Android smartphone but out of the box is not working. Need some more test.
Last I tried the Wakeonlan from the link above and it works.
Hope this can be helpful to someone with the same questions.
Thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.