Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salilsundresh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
I have a late 2.2ghz c2d Macbook Pro running OS X Leopard (latest release I believe) which recently had the LCD go out on me several months ago and then just a few weeks ago the display out stopped working for me. I plan to get a new mac (repair costs aren't worth it since it's a logic board issue) but if possible I'd like to use this as a server or something just for crunching h.264 files or something of the sort. Anyway I've been trying to connect to it from an iBook G4 i had lying around (ibook running 10.5.8) via my LAN. Both computers are connected to my LAN, I found out the LAN IP of my Macbook Pro and my iBook sees it under the "sharing" tab in the finder on my iBook. I'm able to "connect" and view all the files of the Macbook Pro but when I click "share screen" just a black window pops up? A few minutes ago it was asking for my username and password for connecting but it always seemed to fail. I am confident in what the password was so I'm not sure what's up? I'd like to eventually install a USB display adapter on my macbook pro so I can use it on a monitor if need be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, this is giving me a headache..

PS: I know that the macbook pro is logged in because when I press the volume buttons I hear the standard sound effect OS X has for increasing/decreasing volume.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Without digging into the particulars of your situation, since I'm not familiar with details about the iBooks, you could use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports).

salilsundresh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Without digging into the particulars of your situation, since I'm not familiar with details about the iBooks, you could use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports).

Hmm, the problem with TeamViewer seems to be that I would have to install it on my Macbook Pro, no? It's asking for the "ID" of the other computer--I assume it must be running TeamViewer as well instead of connecting to OS X's built in vnc?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hmm, the problem with TeamViewer seems to be that I would have to install it on my Macbook Pro, no? It's asking for the "ID" of the other computer--I assume it must be running TeamViewer as well instead of connecting to OS X's built in vnc?
Correct. TV must be installed, which only takes a minute or less. Can you get access to an external display long enough to install it? If so, you can have it automatically launch at startup.

salilsundresh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Correct. TV must be installed, which only takes a minute or less. Can you get access to an external display long enough to install it? If so, you can have it automatically launch at startup.

No, the DVI out is completely dead or I would have installed VNC. Thankfully I found I had "logmein" installed and to auto launch on start up so I was able to get in there. It looks like the problem was that I had remote management enabled which was messing up screen sharing. Now the problem is I seem to only be able to access screen sharing for 2-4 hours and then I have to restart my mac book pro. Any idea how to fix this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.