Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
Hi,
Since updating to iOS 16, when I connect the airpods pro while the phone is locked, the screen will never turn on, but will stay black. The solution would be to put the airpods back into the case or hard restart.
What should I do? I am on 16.0.2 now.

Reactions: addamas

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
Do they connect, even with the unresponsive screen?

Mine don’t always pop up on the screen, but they always connect either way.
I can hear them connecting, yes. That implies that the phone still works in some strange way

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
What so strange about it? The tone tells you they are connected. That’s not strange.

Edit: iPhones feature tap to wake and lift to wake. When you pick up the phone or tap the screen, it will wake up so you can interact with it. Simply putting AirPods in your ear does not require screen interaction. Thus, it stays dark but plays a tone so you know it's connected.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpdunn13 and Ntombi

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Oh, i didn’t get that! When you said “never turn on,” I thought you meant it never turns on when you put in your buds, not that it’s just totally unresponsive.

I would go to the Apple Store (or Best Buy or another authorized repairer). That’s not normal, and needs to be addressed asap. That’s not anything I’ve seen reported.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don't see the connection between a broken iPhone screen and AirPods. That's what threw us all off. If your phone screen won't turn on you need to see Apple.

Reactions: Ntombi

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
I don't see the connection between a broken iPhone screen and AirPods. That's what threw us all off. If your phone screen won't turn on you need to see Apple.
What are you talking about? My screens not broken ! My screen won't turn on only when connecting the airpods

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
I
Oh, i didn’t get that! When you said “never turn on,” I thought you meant it never turns on when you put in your buds, not that it’s just totally unresponsive.

I would go to the Apple Store (or Best Buy or another authorized repairer). That’s not normal, and needs to be addressed asap. That’s not anything I’ve seen reported.
t's not unresponsive! It becomes unresponsive only when taking the airpods off the case, otherwise it works like a charm!

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
Replace what? It's been like this ever since updating to iOS 16. Phone is 13 pro max

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Will do. I also removed and reconnected to the airpods and see if it happens again. Will update the post later on
Have you tried connecting the airpods to any other devices(If you are able)? This seems really odd, I am hoping it is just software, a BT connection shouldn't cause the screen to bugger out at all.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Holy cow, I just had this issue with iPhone 11Pro and 1 gen AirPods Pro.
Could not open Lock Screen as phone was dead to react for rise, physical buttons and tapping the screen.
iOS 16.0.2

Lock Screen was shown like after 30s … WTF Apple?
Reported via feedback.

Edit: I did not made a restart after that or force restart but in the end of day I found that gyroscope is not working anymore. Tested on YouTube app, photos, Safari. Set gyroscope lock on and off without help.

Edit2: did a force restart and boom, gyro is back.
So I assume that this problem is related to gyro and rise to wake up (when you pick up phone screen wakes up).
Or it’s just a result of this bug.

Last edited:

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Sorry for double post, but it’s reproducible easily. Jut had it.
Phone in pocket, AirPods taken from case, put in ears, phone taken to hand and unresponsible black screen.

This time gyro is ok

Last edited:

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
Sorry for double post, but it’s reproducible easily. Jut had it.
Phone in pocket, AirPods taken from case, put in ears, phone taken to hand and unresponsible black screen.

This time gyro is ok
I removed and reconnected the airpods from Bluetooth and the problem disappeared ever since. I'll let you know if it happens again.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I removed and reconnected the airpods from Bluetooth and the problem disappeared ever since. I'll let you know if it happens again.
Sadly I followed your advice but that it back on iOS 16.1 … way shorter than before but still screen was unresponsive but when it turned on I had pop ups from clicking power button.

New report has been sent as additional information for existing feedback bug report.

Anyone else is still having it?

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
I also have this issue. Seen it a few times, put my AirPods in and went to unlock my screen to start a song and it was just black and not responsive. I tapped on it and hit all the buttons and after about idk 10-15 seconds it woke up and then all was fine. I noticed this about 3 times so far. 14 Pro 16.0.X and still on 16.1

noah91

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2022
Same issue here, I've experienced it a handful of times. iPhone 8 Plus with i0S 16.1. I'll try re-pairing my AirPods and see if it continues.

oslb

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2018
I'm amazed how bad reading skills of some of the people here are.

That being said - I have exact same issue and it's definitely is related to iOS 16. What I do is take out one airpod and the screen comes back on. Waiting for 16.1 to fix this mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.