Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheateeley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2018
Chicago, IL
Hello all,

EDIT: I'm using an iPhone 6s running iOS 11.2.6.

Something that has been happening to me recently is sometimes, seemingly randomly, I'll be on a call, need to use the keypad briefly, and all of the phone controls (End call, Mute, Speaker, Contacts, Add Call, etc buttons) will be replaced with the keypad, which is moved to the top of the screen. Needless to say, this is a problem if I want to actually end my call or put the other person on mute. Unfortunately, I don't have a screen shot to provide.

Does anyone know what this issue is stemming from? I did a full factory reset of my phone this morning (not restoring from a backup - a 100% full wipe), and the issue is still happening. It kind of seems to happen more often when I'm receiving a call, rather than making one, but I haven't really paid too much attention to this detail so I can't say for sure.

Ideas?

Last edited:

HQNYC

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2018
Was the screen replaced by a third party? If you did a new install, then it might not be software.

I would make a Genius Bar appointment and get it checked out.

sheateeley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2018
Chicago, IL
Thanks for your reply. No, the screen hasn't been replaced or damaged. From the lack of replies, I guess I kind of assume this problem isn't exactly wide-spread... I'll probably take your advice about the Genius Bar appt.

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
That used to happen to me, locking up the entire phone and making it impossible to hang up the call or shut down the device. After about 5 minutes it would finally start responding again. That was on my 6. My 8 has not done it.

Stygma

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
My iPhone 8+ gets stuck on the calculator and I have to restart the phone to get out of it.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I kind of have the same thing with my iphone X. It also will sometimes get stuck on a black screen, even when I pull the phone away from my face. I have to press the power button a few times to turn the screen back on so I can hang up.

kshaffe31

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2018
Hello all,

EDIT: I'm using an iPhone 6s running iOS 11.2.6.

Something that has been happening to me recently is sometimes, seemingly randomly, I'll be on a call, need to use the keypad briefly, and all of the phone controls (End call, Mute, Speaker, Contacts, Add Call, etc buttons) will be replaced with the keypad, which is moved to the top of the screen. Needless to say, this is a problem if I want to actually end my call or put the other person on mute. Unfortunately, I don't have a screen shot to provide.

Does anyone know what this issue is stemming from? I did a full factory reset of my phone this morning (not restoring from a backup - a 100% full wipe), and the issue is still happening. It kind of seems to happen more often when I'm receiving a call, rather than making one, but I haven't really paid too much attention to this detail so I can't say for sure.

Ideas?
[doublepost=1537392137][/doublepost]did you resolve it? I have the same problem. Everytime I call verizon (ugh, as if thats not painful enough) I have to input my cell# and pin and my phone goes black and does not allow me to see the dial pad. HELP!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1537392137][/doublepost]
did you resolve it? I have the same problem. Everytime I call verizon (ugh, as if thats not painful enough) I have to input my cell# and pin and my phone goes black and does not allow me to see the dial pad. HELP!!
What if you press the home button or perhaps even the lock screen button, does that make the call screen appear?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.