Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeMcCollister

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2021
Charlottesville, Virginia
I have been using Screen Time App Limits for a few months ago starting with iOS/iPadOS 16.x. It worked most of the time synching between both devices. It got a little worse with iOS/iPadOS 17.0 but now with iOS/iPadOS 17.1 it no longer shares between devices. To try to kick this back into working, I deleted the App Limit on both my iPad and iPhone. I then created a Facebook App Limit of 15 minutes on my iPhone but it has not shown up on the iPad. I do have "Share Across Devices" enabled on both devices.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this to work or is this just another bug?

Reactions: katialondon

katialondon

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2023
Just chiming in to say that I've had the exact same issue since 17.1., with 2 iPhones and 1 Macbook and 1 desktop, with "share across devices" enabled on all of them (and they're all updated to the latest OS release). It used to work ok-ish until iOS 17 and now it's not working. In particular one of my iPhone doesn't show up at all in the screen time dashboard on other devices. The other devices show their screen time information but with a delay or inaccurately.

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2006
I wiped my iMac two weeks ago because Screen Time wasn't syncing at all to the computer. I tried disabling, signing out and back into my Apple ID, but nothing worked, so I did a from-scratch erase and install.

Result is... the iMac now shows up in Screen Time across all my devices, but usage is always incorrect. Screen Time usage is usually properly synced between my iPad and iPhone, but it's a crapshoot what my iMac and MacBook Air will "sync" for their usage.

Just the other day, after making sure all devices showed "Updated today, X:XXpm," my stats looked like this:
  • iPhone: 4h56m
  • iPad: 4h57m
  • iMac: 3h31m
  • MacBook Air: 2h8m
And even right now, it isn't as bad but it's all over the map:
  • iPhone: 6h22m
  • iPad: 6h10m
  • iMac: 5h23m
  • MacBook Air: 8h8m
I can't set any kind of app limits that'd work across my devices because 1) they only update when I go to Settings and open Screen Time, and 2) Even after syncing all devices, the usage stats are often so far apart. In both of the usage sets above, there's almost a 3-hour gap between the highest-reported usage and lowest-reported usage. It's just really, really bad.

JSBRGX

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2023
The same here.

It hasn't worked between my iPhone and iPad since I updated to iOS 17 (It actually worked flawlessly on iOS 16) My iPad appears on my iPhone, and vice versa. But I can't see screen time spent on my iPad, on my iPhone, and vice versa. Tried on both devices, disabling/enabling screen time, restarted, forced restart, signed out of my Apple ID. Nothing has helped. So my conclusion is when Apple updated with new features in iOS 17, they just chose to destroy an existing feature. Buisness as usual.

So now I have disabled shared screen time between devices so that each device shows its own screen time and nothing else.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
With 17.1.1 my iPhone can see its own usage and my macbooks

The MacBook with 14.1.1 can only see its own usage and whilst the iPhone shows up in devices, it says "usage will appear once iPhone is used"...

Despite having a "few fixes" in the last few updates its actually broken it worse than how it was in iOS 17.0 where it was working from a showing usage standpoint.

MikeMcCollister

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2021
Charlottesville, Virginia
For the past month I disabled screen time on any apps on my iPhone and iPad. Yesterday, I turned it on to see if it works. It is still not working. I'm running iOS and iPadOS 17.3. Ugh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.