Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trenton.cain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
I'm trying to configure Screen Time for my daughter, but I'm having issues with managing it remotely from my iPhone.

I went through the Screen Time on her iPhone and iPad and configured the settings for content restrictions, always allowed apps, and downtime. On my iPhone, I also have Screen Time enabled, just not downtime configured.

When I go to Settings->Screen Time on my iPhone, I only see my devices listed. I don't see my daughters.
When I go to Settings->My Apple ID->Family Sharing, it shows Screen Time as off. I click on it and only a blank screen displays.

Is there something I'm missing? On my daughter's iPhone, I don't see an option to share Screen Time with family as an option that was there in the betas.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
All my family updated to iOS12 yesterday and on my wife's and my iPhone we see our son's profile picture under Screen Time. Under iOS11 before updating to 12 we had restrictions enabled on my son's iPad and we also had family sharing enabled between us. Not sure which setting triggered this but it seemed to have transitioned everything automatically from 11/Restrictions to 12/Screen Time.

On another note; after going through the iPad Screen Time settings on my son's iPad, afterwards when I went into his Screen Time section on my iPhone, none of the settings I had set up for him displayed corectly on my iPhone. So I had to set them again there. I don't know if that's a bug, by design or just a user error on my part somewhere.

thyttel

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2013
Annoying you can't block using the phone app after a surtain set time. There is no way to remove the phone app from the always allowed apps

trenton.cain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Got it working finally. Had to remove my daughter’s Apple ID from the iDevices and add them back, but this time instead of using the main email address as I tried a few times, I used the iCloud address and it showed up like it should.

I should note, the Apple ID still shows the primary email being used but it seemed to kick it in gear.

robsojon

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Got it working finally. Had to remove my daughter’s Apple ID from the iDevices and add them back, but this time instead of using the main email address as I tried a few times, I used the iCloud address and it showed up like it should.

I should note, the Apple ID still shows the primary email being used but it seemed to kick it in gear.

I’d be interested to know more about how you got it working, it seems to be just flat out broken from what I can tell, have been trying to get the downtime feature setup on my sons phone all day without any success

trenton.cain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
I was in the same boat, spent too long working on it today.

Be sure family sharing is setup since it’s key. My account is the Organizer account.

Remove Screen Time on their iDevices.

I changed my daughter’s account birthdate since it was setup before child accounts were a thing.

Once that was done I logged out of my daughter’s iDevices, rebooted, then logged back in using the iCloud email address instead of the Gmail address that’s primary on the account. Did the same on my account too, but not sure if that made a difference since my wife can see her account now too.

Then setup Screen Time again and it all worked. Hope that helps.

Reactions: robsojon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.