Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

txmade

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2010
is it fully implemented in the beta ? Would love to test out on my kids haha!!

cbaitson

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
All the options are there in the settings app. Has its own tab. Not played with it yet but it has populated with data as I’m using the iPad.

Edit: Set up family screen time button does nothing but flash.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Installed iOS 12 on my son's phone but the remote management capabilities of screen time do not work.
I have not installed on my kids phones yet. Do you have family sharing setup? I know that is one of the requirements.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I have not installed on my kids phones yet. Do you have family sharing setup? I know that is one of the requirements.
Yes. Family sharing is set up and enabled. I can “see” a listing for his phone in there but nothing is reporting back.

I filed a feedback ticket on it so we’ll see if they respond. I’d have to think I’m. It the only one so they are aware of the issue and are working it. I just hope it doesn’t get drug out for a year like airplay 2 where they announce it, put it in the betas but then yank it because they can’t get it to work. I know having the dev community as a large test group is part of the plan, but they had to at least have had it working internally before announcing it at WWDC.

Reactions: Roar7

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I have install iOS 12 on my X and my sons 6 and the changes I do on his phone from mine is reflected on his phones settings and it seems to work fine, ie I set downtime to 6am-18pm and he can't play after 18 but gets a "Ask for more time". When pressed I get the choice of allowing for 15 mins etc or disallow.
It works really great!
When the limit is reached I get small symbols next to all the disallowed apps and they are greyed out.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I have install iOS 12 on my X and my sons 6 and the changes I do on his phone from mine is reflected on his phones settings and it seems to work fine, ie I set downtime to 6am-18pm and he can't play after 18 but gets a "Ask for more time". When pressed I get the choice of allowing for 15 mins etc or disallow.
It works really great!
When the limit is reached I get small symbols next to all the disallowed apps and they are greyed out.
The settings work, ie time and app restrictions, etc., but I cannot get the usage graphs for his device to show on mine like it’s supposed to do. It actually doesn’t show on his either, which is really weird.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I'd say wait for the public betas or just the full release for installing it on your kids' phones. You know if those things break all hell will break loose and you'll be the one to blame. ;) :p

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
The settings work, ie time and app restrictions, etc., but I cannot get the usage graphs for his device to show on mine like it’s supposed to do. It actually doesn’t show on his either, which is really weird.
I have the same actually. We have a time limit on gaming which is 60 minutes/day. He called me on the bus to school today and asked why he can't play anything. It seems the 30 min time limit I have set was out even before 8am.
I LOVE this feature. Previously we had no idea how much time they spent on gaming everyday.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This screen time thing will eventually replace the old restriction setting. But it is yet to be fully implemented, and restriction no longer works in this iOS 12 beta 1. I am left with no restriction and the potential of allowing apps something I do not want to.

Iosfan85

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
I added my wife under family usage,but I can’t see her screen time. It’s blank under screen time.

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
I have the same actually. We have a time limit on gaming which is 60 minutes/day. He called me on the bus to school today and asked why he can't play anything. It seems the 30 min time limit I have set was out even before 8am.
I LOVE this feature. Previously we had no idea how much time they spent on gaming everyday.

Then “we” must be parents who don’t pay attention to their kids. Me I have this on my kids phones and made an agreement with the kids, only time I will
implement, is for bad behavior or bad grades. If they do well in school and life they play as much as they want, if homework doesn’t get done, etc... that’s a different story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.