Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NillaWafer89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
What do you think about my screen. I saved the test pics and opened them in iphoto on full screen and saved a screen shot. My screen appears dull overall compared to my roommates macbook pro. I have a Samsung LCD and he has a LG LCD. I got the macbook pro the day they came out. Please help me on this. I don't want to have a faulty screen on such an expensive, yet absolutely amazing, laptop.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    10 KB · Views: 75

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I don't believe that a screenshot will actually be able to "capture" they yellowing.

It is similar to taking a screenshot to show a physical crack on the screen- doesn't work.

You have to either ask someone to take a look at the screen with the images, or take a controlled picture -using a camera- of the screen with the image being displayed.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Your screen is defective, it's not the computer itself. Like anirban said, it's like a "crack" in your screen, a "print screen" won't show it.

The Computer just send "image information" to the screen and that's the screen itself that does not display it correctly. When you do a Screenshot with the computer, the computer just "save" the information it sent to the screen but there is absolutely no way the computer can know HOW the screen actually display the image, so there is absolutely no way a "screenshot" (or Print Screen) can show how exactly the image is displayed on the screen.

The only way is to take an actual camera and take a picture of the screen itself.

About your issue, give us some details :

-Is it a 15'' inch or a 17'' inch ?

-What do you mean by the day they came out ? In June 2007 when they updated Macbook Pro or in 2006 when they actually launched the Macbook Pro line of notebook ?

-What do you mean by "dull"? The yellowing issue is only affecting 1/3 bottom of the screen. When you do the test you don't even need another computer to make a comparison. The bottom white square will be darker and slightly yellow compared to the one on the top. IMPORTANT : Any color difference that is affecting all the screen, like your color all seems washed out compared to others MBP, is only a matter of monitor calibration in the display setting of MAC OS X. If it is the whole screen who seem "dull", it is not a defect.

NillaWafer89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Updated PIcs

I have the new SR MBP and I got it the first day they came out. I think it was June 1st. Its a 15in screen. Here are some pics I took with my camera of the screen using the test images on the internet and then a blank page in safari. I can't tell if I am making this up or what from reading the things about the scren yellowing issue, but my screen just seems dull I have no idea what I was thinking doing a screen shot. It was late. I should have known better than to do that!

Attachments

• CIMG8294.JPG
    CIMG8294.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • CIMG8295.JPG
    CIMG8295.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
  • CIMG8296.JPG
    CIMG8296.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 78

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Even with camera shots it can be hard to tell when the yellowing is subtle enough, but based on the top right shot in your post above, I'd say you have a problem.

NillaWafer89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
So if my screen is a defective one, how do i go about getting my mbp replaced. I dont want to go through all that hassle of getting a new screen installed. Can't they just give me a new one just like the one i have.

Cookiemonster

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
in the desert somewhere
So if my screen is a defective one, how do i go about getting my mbp replaced. I dont want to go through all that hassle of getting a new screen installed. Can't they just give me a new one just like the one i have.

if its been over 14 days, your best bet is a replacement- that is if your pushy and demanding enough...
Good Luck !

NillaWafer89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
so my only option would be to get a screen replacement and not a new macbook pro? From what I have read of people getting screen replacements its been pretty overwhelming with problems like fingerprints and such behind the screen where you cant get to them. My chances of them just giving me a new one are pretty much scratched then right?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Just leave it, it's barely noticeable... no where near as extreme as some of the ones on here.

If you didn't read all of this **** on here, you would have never even noticed.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I have the new SR MBP and I got it the first day they came out. I think it was June 1st. Its a 15in screen. Here are some pics I took with my camera of the screen using the test images on the internet and then a blank page in safari. I can't tell if I am making this up or what from reading the things about the scren yellowing issue, but my screen just seems dull I have no idea what I was thinking doing a screen shot. It was late. I should have known better than to do that!

Based on the images that you posted, I wouldn't say that the issue is nearly as bad as it could be for it to warrant a replacement.

If you didn't take the images and did a check, I bet you wouldn't have noticed it.

If you do decide to take the issue to Apple, you may have a hard time convincing them to do so under warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.