Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
Whenever I use Screencapture to record my screen, and then attempt to make another screencapture, the menu bar does not pop up to allow me to record. I must go to Activity Monitor and Force Quit Screencapture to get it to record again. It's not dumping or resseting it's memory. How do I fix this? Anyone know? This has been going on since 10.14.1 through 10.14.6 including latest updates.

GDMSR

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2015
Rural France
Whenever I use Screencapture to record my screen, and then attempt to make another screencapture, the menu bar does not pop up to allow me to record. I must go to Activity Monitor and Force Quit Screencapture to get it to record again. It's not dumping or resseting it's memory. How do I fix this? Anyone know? This has been going on since 10.14.1 through 10.14.6 including latest updates.
The same thing happened on my wife's iMac. I found two 'workarounds'. One is to initiate screencapture from Preview. The other way is to buy Parallels Toolbox (about $20) which has a superior version of screencapture (plus lots of other applets), and that is what she now uses.
On my older MacPro with a patched Catalina, screencapture works fine.

Reactions: Kevbasscat

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
The same thing happened on my wife's iMac. I found two 'workarounds'. One is to initiate screencapture from Preview. The other way is to buy Parallels Toolbox (about $20) which has a superior version of screencapture (plus lots of other applets), and that is what she now uses.
On my older MacPro with a patched Catalina, screencapture works fine.

Thank you so much for your help. I realy don't know the first thing about parells, but it seems everyone has, and uses it, so I should bone up.

That's so sad Apple can't get ther own app to work properly. Too busy removing notches, charging ports, functionality, like preventing 2017 Macs from getting HDR10 and Dolby Atmos, when the the same Windows Pc's process it easily. You know, those and a few and other critically important efforts to force you to upgrade prematurely.

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
I use QuickTime Player to record my screen, paired with SoundFlower if I need audio recording as well.

Are you on 10.14.6 or Mojave at all? Screenshots is a built in app that is part of that particular OS, and should operate as such. Mine simply does not. Thus the reason for the tread.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Are you on 10.14.6 or Mojave at all? Screenshots is a built in app that is part of that particular OS, and should operate as such. Mine simply does not. Thus the reason for the tread.
Yes, I'm on Mojave 10.14.6 (18G2022). I never used the Screenshot.app because I don't like it. I use QuickTime Player for video capture and Shift-Command-3 & Shift-Command-4 for screenshots.

Reactions: Kevbasscat

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
Yes, I'm on Mojave 10.14.6 (18G2022). I never used the Screenshot.app because I don't like it. I use QuickTime Player for video capture and Shift-Command-3 & Shift-Command-4 for screenshots.

Why may I ask don't you care for it? That's very cool the shortcuts for Qt recording and screenshots, I'll give that a go. Soundflower is from? Darn, I forgot...I have it on my 9,1, but it's put away. Which company or site again? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.