Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Am looking to buy a used 2015 15" MacBook Pro for when am travelling away.
Looking on eBay they're going for about £250 but alot of them seem to have anti glare wearing off on the screens.

Is this something of major concern ? I've seen youtube videos of just wiping it off with a cleaner and sticking another anti-glare protector over the screen.

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Yes, it is a major concern.
As I understand it, all 2015 MBPs had a recall on them due to the plastic film peeling off from the screen. The damage is permanent and can't be just wiped off.
I bought mine on eBay in 2019, and brought into Apple Store where they replaced my screen for free. The recall window was 4 years. I'm also in the UK.
If it hasn't started peeling off in 9 years though, maybe the ones which show zero damage are unaffected?

za9ra22

Suspended
Sep 25, 2003
Mine (bought new, US) has signs of this problem, though in use it isn't possible to tell. The wear looks fairly noticeable when the screen is off in certain lighting, and it can't be wiped 'clean'. However, since it isn't visible when in use, I can't tell if a new anti-glare film on top of it would make any difference. I suspect not since the wear on the underlying coating would still be present, and it doesn't impact on use.

To give some indication of how much of a problem this is, I'd basically forgotten it existed until I read this. It may be that it's just not as badly affected as some others, but I have always considered it a cosmetic blemish rather than a functional one.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
As I understand it, all 2015 MBPs had a recall on them due to the plastic film peeling off from the screen. The damage is permanent and can't be just wiped off.
I bought mine on eBay in 2019, and brought into Apple Store where they replaced my screen for free. The recall window was 4 years. I'm also in the UK.
If it hasn't started peeling off in 9 years though, maybe the ones which show zero damage are unaffected?
Not a plastic film but an anti-glare coating. If you're planning to use the MacBook Pro indoors exclusively then you can remove the anti-glare coating and it won't affect the display quality. There is information in this forum how to remove the anti-glare coating on these laptops.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I'm using an Early 2015, 13" MBP right now, which seems to have this same problem. My thoughts are similar to @za9ra22. When the screen is dark, I notice it and it bothers me a little. When I'm using it, I just don't notice it at all. Yeah, it really shouldn't be that way, but it turns out not to matter (to me).

(I only use it indoors. I don't know if would be different outside in bright sunlight.)

I certainly wouldn't call it a major concern. IMHO, buying a nine year old computer calls for some flexibility regarding cosmetic issues. This one has been a great, reliable machine in all other respects.

Reactions: Andrey84

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I have two 15" 2015 MBPs & both suffer from this one worse than the other. As soon as they are powered on & MacOS running you cannot see any evidence of "Staingate".

I would thoroughly recommend buying a 15" 2015 MBP. They are great value & still work just fine. I have bought both of mine on eBay for under £250. Intel processors stagnated performance-wise for years so these aren't that down on performance compared to newer models. Make sure that you get one with 16GB of RAM as you cannot change that but it's the last MBP that you can upgrade the storage & you can even use a generic NVMe stick with an adapter.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
In my experience of two 15" MBPs with the problem it's not a concern at all. As soon as they are powered on & MacOS running you cannot see any evidence of "Staingate".

Why do think it a major concern? It's just an anti-glare coating that can be removed. It's not a protective plastic film.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
In my experience of two 15" MBPs with the problem it's not a concern at all. As soon as they are powered on & MacOS running you cannot see any evidence of "Staingate".

Why do think it a major concern? It's just an anti-glare coating that can be removed. It's not a protective plastic film.
If I remove the anti-glare coating, is there a anti-glare screen protector that I can stick on ? is that a thing ?

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020

There is no anti-glare coating that I can see on the 2015 15" MBP. It's like a mirror, reflects everything. I had a "new" pristine screen from Apple installed.
Secondly, I saw some photos of the layer peeling back further than the black edges and it looks really bad. I don't believe Apple would do a mass recall for a non-issue. Knowing how complex the Retina Display technology is, I don't expect users to be able to just peel off the layer and replace it.

I did mention in my first comment that if OP buys a laptop which doesn't show any signs of peeling at all, they should be absolutely fine.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Finding one with no anti-glare coating issues is much harder than getting one with a minimum amount of anti-glare coating coming off. For the money you can obtain these 2015 MacBook Pros, it is not a deal breaker. Apple won't warranty these displays as they no longer support the 2015 laptops so you have two options. You can either leave the screen "as is" and just operate the laptop as you won't really notice pealing anti-glare coating when the laptop is on unless you have a dark screen or you can remove the anti-glare coating carefully and pick up a matte screen saver. Personally, if it came down to this with my 2015 laptops, I will simply remove the anti-glare coating and call it a day and use my laptops since I use mine strictly indoors.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
All the photos in that thread demonstrating the issue are with the MBP switched off & the screen at an angle. The reason is that you don't see it when the MBP is powered up. I would have no problem buying another 15" 2015 MBP with this issue as it's simply not visible when in use. I have a 1" vertical scratch in the top left hand corner of the screen of on one of my MBPs & I can see it if I look closely when powered up but I cannot see the staining. You don't have a problem with your screen so why not accept that those of us with "Staingate" don't have a problem either.

Reactions: Macdctr

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
All the photos in that thread demonstrating the issue are with the MBP switched off & the screen at an angle. The reason is that you don't see it when the MBP is powered up. I would have no problem buying another 15" 2015 MBP with this issue as it's simply not visible when in use. I have a 1" vertical scratch in the top left hand corner of the screen of on one of my MBPs & I can see it if I look closely when powered up but I cannot see the staining. You don't have a problem with your screen so why not accept that those of us with "Staingate" don't have a problem either.
I fully accept it's not an issue for you. Would've been a massive issue for me. I like my screens immaculate.

This is why these forums are so popular: OPs can read different opinions and make a well-informed decision. Don't worry with me unduly influencing the OP, as most people in this thread said that it's not an issue.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I fully accept it's not an issue for you. Would've been a massive issue for me. I like my screens immaculate.
If the staingate bother's you then you can simply remove the anti-glare coating using a microfiber cloth and some mouthwash. The anti-glare coating will come off and you will have an immaculate looking screen sans anti-glare coating.

It is not the end of the world regarding these laptops especially the price you can now get them for . . .

Reactions: Andrey84

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
MacBook Pros -- since the first "retina" models released in 2012 -- have a sprayed-on anti-glare coating.

I'm going to guess that the coating consists of extremely fine particles combined with some kind of adhesive to bond them to the surface of the display panel, but that's just A GUESS.

In any case...
... Since the beginning, this anti-glare coating has proven to be quite "fragile" -- that is to say, it doesn't take much abuse before it begins to degrade and "flake off".

Hence, the condition the OP mentions.
It's called "StainGate".

Once it starts, it's "non-fixable".
There is no "repair", other than replacing the entire panel.

What can cause it...
..."Over-cleaning" the display. Numerous posts in this forum over the years by folks complaining about StainGate, who also mention that they are careful about "cleaning" the display.
It's actually "the cleaning" that is DAMAGING the sprayed-on coating and grinding it off !!!

The best way to maintain a MacBook Pro display is to clean it AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.
Don't "get it dirty" in the first place.
When there is dust on the display, don't "wipe" it (by "wipe" I mean use pressure).
Instead, "dust" a cloth across it -- NO pressure.

If there's something that dusting won't clean off, use a cloth moistened with water and as little pressure as possible -- then dust dry.
DON'T use stuff like alcohol-based cleaners, etc.

OP:
Be aware that you aren't going to "fix" a used MBP that has StainGate (at least a fix that restores the anti-glare coating).
The only way to "get rid" of the blotches and stains is to COMPLETELY REMOVE the anti-glare coating. There are videos to watch on YouTube about how to do this.
You'll be left with a "glossy" display, but "the stains" will be gone.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I removed the coating totally on mine

Looks great

Screens on these are awesome and compare exceptionally well to the new M2 15” MBA

Reactions: Macdctr

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I have two 15" 2015 MBPs & both suffer from this one worse than the other. As soon as they are powered on & MacOS running you cannot see any evidence of "Staingate".

I would thoroughly recommend buying a 15" 2015 MBP. They are great value & still work just fine. I have bought both of mine on eBay for under £250. Intel processors stagnated performance-wise for years so these aren't that down on performance compared to newer models. Make sure that you get one with 16GB of RAM as you cannot change that but it's the last MBP that you can upgrade the storage & you can even use a generic NVMe stick with an adapter.
What kind of condition was the £250 MacBook in ?
Ive been looking on eBay for similar priced ones and they look like they've been thrown around like a rugby ball or the dogs been chewing on it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
If you are serious about getting a 2015 15" MBP - they do pop up on Woot every so often, including last week again

It's a good spot to get one with an easy return policy

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
What kind of condition was the £250 MacBook in ?
Ive been looking on eBay for similar priced ones and they look like they've been thrown around like a rugby ball or the dogs been chewing on it.
The first one that I bought in November 2021 had a chunk of aluminium missing from the right hand corner of the top case but the rest of the MBP was OK. I suspect that it had been dropped. It cost £243.27 including shipping. I subsequently had a new battery fitted by Apple for £199 which of course included a new top case & keyboard. The other one I bought in January 2023 for £302 including shipping (I misremembered the price) came in a case & was absolutely immaculate apart from a bit of "Staingate". Both are 16GB models which have been upgraded with 2TB WD 570 NVMe SSDs. I use one in clamshell mode as a desktop replacement hooked up to a 48" screen various external disks, Blu-ray burner etc

I looked on eBay & didn't find any suitable at £250 but if you up your budget to £300 there are quite a few decent ones including this one with the faster 2.5GHz CPU, a brand new battery & 3 months warranty for £289.99 delivered.

Last edited:
Reactions: vim147
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.