Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Del Rei

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2017
Brazil
Hey, guys.
I have a iPhone 8+ and I'm considering an upgrade....

I'm curious about the screen resolution:

iPhone 8 Plus: 5.5” (1920-by-1080-pixel resolution at 401 ppi)
iPhone 11: 6.1” (1792-by-828-pixel resolution at 326 ppi)
iPhone 11 Pro: 5.8” (2436-by-1125-pixel resolution at 458 ppi)

So.... How does 11 has a biger screen and less pixels/ppi than 8 Plus? Why is that...?

Can I assume that I will notice a worse image quality if I change my 8 Plus for the 11?

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Hey, guys.
I have a iPhone 8+ and I'm considering an upgrade....

I'm curious about the screen resolution:

iPhone 8 Plus: 5.5” (1920-by-1080-pixel resolution at 401 ppi)
iPhone 11: 6.1” (1792-by-828-pixel resolution at 326 ppi)
iPhone 11 Pro: 5.8” (2436-by-1125-pixel resolution at 458 ppi)

So.... How does 11 has a biger screen and less pixels/ppi than 8 Plus? Why is that...?

Can I assume that I will notice a worse image quality if I change my 8 Plus for the 11?

I doubt you will notice any difference in the resolution alone for anything over than 300 dpi. However there are other factors in the display that will make a difference to its overall perception of quality such as its dynamic range and colour gamut.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
This is a powder keg of a question to ask in the forums so be prepared for hardcore opinions on this subject.

OLED lovers will provide you all of their reasons and evidence for why the display of the pro models is ‘superior’.

LCD advocates and non-pro adopters will tell you they cannot tell the difference from OLED let alone plus model phones.

Others will be middle of the road and highlight pros and cons of each display.

My advice? Go to the store if possible and see the screens for yourself. It’s your eyes’ perception that truly matters. Not specs on paper or the opinions of strangers who either truly do believe what they are telling you or have some agenda such as validating their own purchase.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Go check this out for yourself.

I am more sensitive and can tell the difference. Others will say otherwise. I would not let those others sway me when I am the one purchasing and having to live with my choice after.

Go check out the phones for yourself. It’s the best thing to do if you are able.

Reactions: BeeGood

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
In 2018, I had a 7+ and switched to a XR. I noticed no difference in regular use (if you stare at it from 1.5 inches you might notice some difference).

I loved my XR to death, it was a very good phone. I only switched to a Pro Max this year because I wanted a phone that was a tad larger - and in addition to it not being that much clearer, the 1st thing I noticed (and was kinda annoyed by) was that the screen is very clearly PenTile.

Reactions: jimmy_uk and JRoDDz

vapourtrails

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2016
When you compare the two don’t just look at the apps and general interface. Look at some photo media, that is when the difference becomes obvious. I’m a photographer and the OLED images looks much richer. The interface will only show a little nicer contrast because it lacks the full dynamic range of a photo.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
In 2018, I had a 7+ and switched to a XR. I noticed no difference in regular use (if you stare at it from 1.5 inches you might notice some difference).

I loved my XR to death, it was a very good phone. I only switched to a Pro Max this year because I wanted a phone that was a tad larger - and in addition to it not being that much clearer, the 1st thing I noticed (and was kinda annoyed by) was that the screen is very clearly PenTile.

You can notice the sub-pixel layout on a ‘retina’ screen by the naked eye? How do you tell? Is it the off-axis viewing changes?

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
You can notice the sub-pixel layout on a ‘retina’ screen by the naked eye? How do you tell? Is it the off-axis viewing changes?

Coming from 10 years of staring daily at LCD iPhones I could notice there was sort of a grid-ish pattern to the iPhone screen. I can't notice it anymore

Del Rei

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2017
Brazil
Yeah... Looks like some see difference and some don't...
For sure I'll check for myself, but it's really strange this screen smaller than FullHD resolution....

Del Rei

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2017
Brazil
Hey. Just to let you know...

I went to the Apple Store and spent about 40min comparing them.

Actually, you can see the difference in screen. Of course nothing big, but if you look closer, with attention... More definition and contrast. Specially in the corner of the icons. If you print the screen and zoom it, you will notice that iPhone 11 have not so "rounded" icons corner as iPhone 11 Pro.

One strange thing I noticed is that iPhone 11 have better (for me) colors... Don't know why, but 11 Pro photos looks more "washed" and a bit "warm" colored. I checked it in a lot of unit at store, and they all looks the same. All iPhone 11 Pro had more washed and warm color compared to 11 - Yes, I set all phones to run "True Tone" off, I hate that. And still, 11 Pro have a warmer tone that I didn't like so much.

I took photos, videos... Compared them. Yes, there is a difference in quality, but I didn't thought it was something to bother. I tried to download Youtube and see videos, but they don't allow to download apps in those phones (and that was the biggest problem). I ran Youtube from Safari, but that's not the same, it didn't allow to set the resolution in max.

Bought the iPhone 11.

After some hours using it, specially in Youtube, I decided to return it and get the Pro.

One big thing for me. I could only see the real diference in screen after playing video in Youtube. And that's the biggest difference I could see in these two phones. So sad you can't do that in Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.