Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexprib

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
The old Spectrum screensaver from Lion and before (spectrum.qtz) has finally stopped working on the latest beta.
Is this because it's 32 bit? I have no clue. It was working in beta 1...

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
The "screensaver" is just a plist file describing a QuartzComposer "program". QuartzComposer is 64-bit.

Reactions: alexprib

fdolbec123

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2018
Québec, Qc, Canada
What is curious is that the screensavers I did with QuartzComposer in High Sierra are not working anymore! Also any screensavers made with Xcode 10 beta with the target set to 10.14 won't work. I'm not sure if using Metal API could fix that...

Voenix Rising

macrumors member
May 1, 2013
The minimal clock screensaver doesn't work either. Another qtz file.

And what's with the login screen now overlaying a sharp (vs. previously blurred) screen saver screen?

Anderton

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Sweden
Have tested 10 different 3rd party screensavers (all .qtz files) in Mojave (release) that worked in High Sierra. None works. Either Apple dropped support for qtz without telling anyone, or there are something you need to do with the qtz file in Quart Composer to make them work.

lowkey_jones

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2018
Have tested 10 different 3rd party screensavers (all .qtz files) in Mojave (release) that worked in High Sierra. None works. Either Apple dropped support for qtz without telling anyone, or there are something you need to do with the qtz file in Quart Composer to make them work.

I am having the same problem with the soundstream audio responsive screensaver that was a .qtz file. I am also hoping we can update the .qtz file using Quartz Composer to make it work in MacOS Mojave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.