Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rick_2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Hi everyone,

I had a 2020 M1 MacBook Pro with the Touch Bar. In the Touch Bar, I had a button (looked like a hollow rectangle) and it was for screenshots. When I clicked it, I could select the area of the screen I wanted and then click Capture. I could also change the settings so it would copy to the clipboard (my favourite) or save to desktop, etc. I just got my 2021 MacBook without the Touch Bar. How the heck do I do the screenshots like that? Is this feature on MacOS or am I stuck doing some keyboard command that requires holding down 4-5 keys at once? Thank you kindly.

Rick_2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
CMD + SHIFT + 3
CMD + SHIFT + 4
CMD + SHIFT + 5

Those are the capture shortcuts.
I tried all three. CMD + SHIFT + 5 brought up the same interface I was referring to. Can I program it to one of my function keys? Thank you so much.

Rivanov

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2010
Netherlands
I tried all three. CMD + SHIFT + 5 brought up the same interface I was referring to. Can I program it to one of my function keys? Thank you so much.

Reactions: Rick_2020

Rick_2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Thank you Rivanov. I'll have a look. I'm an amateur with Apple products but really like them. Thank you again.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I tried all three. CMD + SHIFT + 5 brought up the same interface I was referring to.
You can select area you want to screen cap with CMD + SHIFT + 4 as well. Just drag mouse or drag on trackpad on area you want to get. You can also screen cap full window with it. Such a flexible tool.

getamac

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
Lightshot https://lightshot.us/ is my favorite free screenshot tool for both Mac and Windows; Super lightweight, make quick annotations and be able to copy to clipboard without creating a mess of temp files. Enjoy!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Thank you Rivanov. I'll have a look. I'm an amateur with Apple products but really like them. Thank you again.
It's very simple. Open System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Screenshots. You can set the keyboard shortcut for this feature to anything you want.

Reactions: Rick_2020
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.