Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJS36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2021
It just started happening in the past two days. I spoke to Apple and it seems like this is a copyright issue when recording on streaming services. For example, I did a quick video shot of the show Jeopardy. I took a screenshot image before I started recording and then another one after. Only the video will be blocked out.
As you can clearly see the tv shows logo, etc, still remains. I can't even take a screenshot. Let me know if anyone else is having this problem.
I'm running Mac Monterey, 12.3.1 and I'm completely updated.

The same thing happens on Safari and Google Chrome. When I try to record a local video file from my Macbook, everything works fine.

NJS36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2021
Yeah the problem is you trying to pirate people's hard work. This is what DRM is for.
Yes. I get that. I'm one of the good ones that never share. They are for my use only. VLC won't record either so this has to be a Mac thing.

Yes. I get that. I'm one of the good ones that never share. They are for my use only. VLC won't record either so this has to be a Mac thing.
Well, apparently Apple smartened up.

They should change their instructions on how to record with Quicktime and the Screenshot utilities in that case. I can't even take a simple screenshot of the news and save it as a JPEG. It would be nice if they were upfront about it.

Just an FYI out there to others, syndeysider88 to others.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Nothing new; been like this forever on OS X. Used to show up as a dark greenish color.

NJS36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2021
I found the solution. RIP, Safari, and Google Chrome!

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I don't understand that. I've been screenshotting and recording for years.
It only does it with DRM content like movies in iTunes and old school DVD app; but browsers probably do it also on some content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.