Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
For the last few days I have been unable to save screenshots on Monterey 12.1. When attempting to do so I get the message 'Your screenshot can't be saved - Cannot write file to intended destination'. Normally I would fix issues like this by deleting a .plist file, but I cannot find any related to QuickTime at all. I also now cannot set the save location of QT screen recordings to my external HD, where I would like them. Help?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Screenshots are managed by /System/Applications/Utilities/Screenshot.app that stores settings in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screencapture.plist

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
Thanks, I tried deleting both .plist files assocated with screencapture but this didn't fix the problem

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
So the issue appears to be with the save location, my WD 5TB external HD. I have tried running First Aid in Disk Utility but that hasn't helped. What else could be causing an issue with the write location for QT screen recordings and screen captures?

brokenmold

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2022
Panama City, FL
Did you figure this out? I'm having the same issue after upgrading from 13.0.0 to 13.0.1.
What I assumed would be an quick fix has left me scratching my head.
I've confirmed i'm trying to write to local disk, and I have write permissions.

⚠️ "Your screenshot can't be saved. Cannot write file to intended destination."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.