Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quixotic3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
I have tried everything to block this program for my kid but screen time does not work. It sees it as a game and all the other games get the hourglass when I set the limit but not roblox. If I set it as an specific time limit for Roblox it also does not work. I have tried from both the iPad screen limit page and the Mac screen time in the control center. Is there another option that controls apps preferably one that doesn't limit total hours but rather uses set times when the app is available?

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Strange. Both my kids play Roblox. Apple Screen time works for me. I administer their Screen times (each child has a phone and iPad) centrally from my iPhone.

We’re all on iOS 13.4.1.

Maybe wipe/full reset their devices and restore from iCloud backup?

Reactions: Quixotic3

jrdatrackstar1223

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Brownsburg, IN
I had issue for the longest. Steps I took:

1. Make sure all devices are all on latest update (unless you need to stay on earlier version for some reason).

2. If they have multiple devices (my kids have phones and iPads), sign out of iCloud on all of them and apply the screen time one at a time per device to make sure it works for each individual device before moving onto the next device.

3. The strangest one for me: I synced all devices to iTunes through the computer and that worked for my daughters iPad like instantly and the screen times starting working as expected.

One thing you could also do for your second question is set a downtime that applies for when you want the app blocked that would apply to all apps. Then you could set the other apps that you don’t want the restriction on in the “Always Allowed) section.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Quixotic3

Quixotic3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks I signed everything out and back on again that seemed to have fixed it. Though I still wish I could approve apps for certain times a day ie. not during school hours dinner time etc. Thanks for the help

Reactions: jrdatrackstar1223

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Yeah, it kills me that there is no kill switch. Sometimes I just don’t understand the choices Apple makes.

“Lock my kid’s devices now.” — Should be as simple as clicking a button.

Same as when approving more time:
1) custom time amount
2) approve all apps - not just the one he happened to ask for.

Seriously, these are like 5min code updates. But it will be a big new feature of iOS 18 (if it ever comes).

It’s like user accounts for multiple users. Don’t even get me started. This would be so much easier for administration than the convoluted permissioning scheme currently to block access to settings, etc.

Reactions: aldoofbanga
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.