Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwatch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Appleton, WI
Long story short - I stuck the Techtool Deluxe CD in thinking that was how I could format my new second HD. Know when I try to start my computer I get an Apple which quickly dissapears and is replaced by a black rectangle. The startup wheel just turns and turns and turns. The fans then kick up to jet engine speed and nothing happens. I cannot even start in safe mode. Stopping to at least read some of the directions, I booted off my OS X Tiger DVD. I went into Disk Utility to look at my drives. I tried First Aid on my primary disk and got Checking HFS Plus volume. Invalid B-tree node size. The volume Mike's Hard Drive needs to be repaired. 1 HFS Volume checked - Volume needs repair.
Any help will be appreciated. I have a lot of stuff I really would hate to lose on that drive. How do I simply format the second drive?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
All you need to do to format a non-boot drive (as long as it doesn't have anything important to you or the system) is to Erase it with Disk Utility (or Partition if you want partitions)

mwatch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Appleton, WI
I have formatted the second drive. I tried to read my primary PMG5 drive from my PB using firewire. My new, second hard-drive, is the only one that is even shows up. I put two partitions on it and both show up correctly. Since I can't find my primary disk, is a program like Disk Warrior going to even work for me? What other software might allow me to recover the video/picture files I really need to get?

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
mwatch said:
I tried First Aid on my primary disk and got Checking HFS Plus volume. Invalid B-tree node size. The volume Mike's Hard Drive needs to be repaired. 1 HFS Volume checked - Volume needs repair.

Did you press the verify or the repair button when you tried disk utility? If you didn't press repair, it won't be. You might try booting from your Tiger DVD and run disk utility again, making sure to press the repair button. If it fails the repair, try repairing again. It it still fails, your only hope at that point is probably Diskwarrior (make sure you get the version that's compatible with Tiger).

For future reference, you can (and should) format/partition any hard drive with disk utility, but remember that formating is going to erase everything that's on the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.