Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darbyclash34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
So far, all of the screenshots I have seen of Lion don't have scrollbars. The iPhoto screenshot has it's own custom scroll bars, but for instance look at the Mac App Store, there is not a scroll bar to be seen, even though clearly there is more of the page to see. Maybe the iOS scroll bars really are coming to Lion?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
the iOS style scroll bars show as you scroll and disappear afterwards. don’t know if i like not having a scroll bar always showing to see how long/where you are in a page.

Attachments

• 20101020-drs3rq9hssh5e5tytcfbk4i17w.jpg
    20101020-drs3rq9hssh5e5tytcfbk4i17w.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 342

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Someone on the forums yesterday calculated the average amount of pixels that a reduced scroll bar would save... Anyone remember the number?

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Yeah, just watched the video again, at 1:02:08 you can see for a split second that there are DEFINITELY black and white iOS style rubber banded scroll bars

EDIT: if you continue watching to the point of the mission control feature you'll see three different scroll bars - aqua in pages, itunes gray in itunes, and the new scroll bar in safari. I have no idea what Lion will ultimately turn out to be but if its this disjointed (like Leopard and Snow Leopard) I find it a little sad.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Yeah, just watched the video again, at 1:02:08 you can see for a split second that there are DEFINITELY black and white iOS style rubber banded scroll bars

EDIT: if you continue watching to the point of the mission control feature you'll see three different scroll bars - aqua in pages, itunes gray in itunes, and the new scroll bar in safari. I have no idea what Lion will ultimately turn out to be but if its this disjointed (like Leopard and Snow Leopard) I find it a little sad.

Apple is still tweaking with the UI. Every app would require an update so the new Mac App Store obviously sports the new scroll bar.

TheGraphicMac

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2009
In a house
As long as it's consistent, I really don't care what kind they use. While I like the hidden scroll bar idea, I fear that there's going to be a lot of confused "mom & dads" calling their kids to explain just what the heck happened to that "tall blue moving bar" on the side of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.