Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
When scrubbing through a video in the stock Photos app and taken with the stock camera app, It’s very laggy and choppy. Can’t scrub through smoothly. Only first noticed this about a month ago. I used slow scrubbing to analyze my sons’s hockey videos but it became useless.

iP15 PM on 17.4.1. 4K/30, Pro Res off.

Anyone else see this?

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Could it be that you have iCloud Photos on with "optimize storage", and your video was offloaded to the cloud (hence removed from the iPhone local storage)? Then it would need to download it again when you watch it, and scrubbing can be choppy if it hasn't fully downloaded yet.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Could it be that you have iCloud Photos on with "optimize storage", and your video was offloaded to the cloud (hence removed from the iPhone local storage)? Then it would need to download it again when you watch it, and scrubbing can be choppy if it hasn't fully downloaded yet.
Interesting. I do have “Optimize iPhone Storage” turned on but I’m not seeing an option to download anything. I’ve had that option enabled for as long as I can remember but I don’t recall having this issue a couple months ago.

Is there something special I need to do to download a video from the cloud?

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
This is what it looks like.
View attachment 2361904

Hm! No, that's not it, if it was the downloading issue, you would see a loading spinner. This seems different, I've never seen that happen before.

I just gave it a try and it happens on my iPhone 15 Pro Max too! Running iOS 17.4.1. No idea when that started happening honestly, but it's the first time I notice this. Maybe it's a new bug introduced with one of the last updates?

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hm! No, that's not it, if it was the downloading issue, you would see a loading spinner. This seems different, I've never seen that happen before.

I just gave it a try and it happens on my iPhone 15 Pro Max too! Running iOS 17.4.1. No idea when that started happening honestly, but it's the first time I notice this. Maybe it's a new bug introduced with one of the last updates?
It’s been happening since at least 17.4, maybe earlier but can’t say for sure. Thanks for your replies. I’ll send a bug feedback to Apple.

Reactions: ManuCH
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.