Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigel_t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2001
Has anyone tried using a scsi card with OS X.
I just installed OS X on my machine (10.0.4) and it did not mount the scsi drive I have connected to my 2940 adaptec card. I particularly like the way the Mac operates because when I got the card I stuck it in my PCI slot powered up the G3 and it just worked, no drivers necessary. I now have it in my G4 DP with OS 9 and it works like nothing ever happened, sans drivers,.
I thought OS X would be the same , it would just work. Is there somthing I have to do to mount the drives or get the scsi card to work.

OS X Newbie.

Nigel

lotus

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2001
there are several issues that you could be seeing drives striped with 3rd party software will not work under 10 atto just announced a software that will work in both 9 and 10

this sucks but the only way you can make a raid without that software is to boot into 9 erase the disks and format them by there self using the apple disk tool
(if your raid has 4 disk you should have formatted 4 disks)

boot into 10.1.1 it must be 10.1+ this disk tool has a raid tool with it. I have been using this raid setup since the update doing Video .

Last note MEDIA drives will not work at all

good luck

nigel_t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2001
scsi cards & OSX

Thats what I did. But I have 10.0.4. so I did have any raid tool. but what I'm saying is that I don't use drivers with the cards in os 9 it just works. Does'nt OSX do the same i've become used to things just working when you stick them in the PCI slot. From what I understand Adaptec will not be writing drivers for OSX for the 2940. Maybe OSX does not support the card or maybe I need 10.1.

Nigel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.