Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozpost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2003
Sydney
I am trying to reformat an old lc475 to give to a relative. I have found a copy of my old os 7.6 system software on cd but the external cd drive I have only connects sometimes. It never connects when I make it my startup disc so I can run disc warrior on the 475s harddrive. I have tried using scsi probe but it doesnt help. I seem to remember another programme called silver lining but cant find it.
Any suggestions? does anyone know any freeware that might help me fix what I assume is a scsi problem?

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
You'll need to read up on this, as I'm not sure of all the implied risks...

You can connect the lc475 to another SCSI enabled Mac via SCSI in disk mode.

You can use the host Mac to format the drive from the CD Rom on your host Mac.

Be sure to connect SCSI when machines are off, then boot up. Host machine first.

Check apple tech notes on this procedure, because I haven't done this in about 8 years.

If the SCSI card on the lc475 is on the fritz... Possibly as a last resort, you can take the drive out of the lc475 and add it to another Mac, install the system and return the drive to the lc475. (Termination is an issue here).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.