Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
I'd given up on this issue a long time ago and have been using SD-to-USB converters, but thought it was worth a shot again.

At some point in the last 3 years, my SD Card port completely gave up on my Early 2015 13" MBP and never worked again. I'm not sure when it exactly, but I believe it happened when I was on High Sierra. I chalked it up to a software issue then but numerous software updates later (currently on Catalina 10.15.3), it's still dead as a dodo.

Any recommendations on how to bring it back to life?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It could be a problem with the internal connection port.
It could be a problem with some piece of software needed to "recognize" and utilize the port not being present (or loaded) into the OS.

Suggestion:
Keep using the USB card reader. That probably works every time.

Reactions: Pilot Jones

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
It could be a problem with the internal connection port.
It could be a problem with some piece of software needed to "recognize" and utilize the port not being present (or loaded) into the OS.

Suggestion:
Keep using the USB card reader. That probably works every time.

I'd figured just as much.

Any advice on how to check if this is a software issue or not? Where in my laptop do I need to check to see if there is something missing or faulty?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you have a brick-n-mortar Apple Store anywhere nearby?
I'd make an appt. and bring it to the genius bar.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
Do you have a brick-n-mortar Apple Store anywhere nearby?
I'd make an appt. and bring it to the genius bar.

No Apple Store nearby unfortunately. That's partly the reason why I've been sitting on this issue for so long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.