Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheArgonaut77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2015
Does anyone know of an actual working SD/MicroSD card reader for iPhone? I had one off brand that worked and suddenly stopped. I have ordered four different off-branded ones and none of them worked. I bought the Apple branded SD card reader and it doesn’t work. When I say doesn’t work I mean it doesn’t recognize anything, that it’s plugged in, has a card inserted or not, nothing. I was using it to move my photos off my phone so I can free up space. Not interested in cloud based anything. Does anything know of a working product or solution to my phone recognizing a reader in files or photos? It’s frustrating Apple sells a branded product that does not work whatsoever (which also feels not legal but whatever). Im running an iPhone 13 Pro, 512gb, iOS 16.4.1. Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

bob_zz123

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2017
The Apple one works fine for me, although it doesn't do anything unless there's a card inserted into it and then it shows up in the Files app.

You could also do (more expensively):

iPhone 13 Pro -> Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adaptor -> Any old USB card reader -> SD Card
(you will almost certainly have to provide power to the adaptor via. a Lightning cable)

If you do this way it's a bit more flexible so you could also test out a USB flash drive as opposed to a card reader / card combo.

Make sure your card is formatted in an appropriate format, mine works with cards using the very standard MBR partition map formatted FAT32 or ExFAT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.