Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
How likely is it that the 1st Gen (2016) SE will support iOS 15?

Last edited:

rodedwards

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
If the SE v1 does i guess the iPhone 6s will too. Same A9 processor. It works fine with 14.6 RC.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Im guessing the 6S will get dropped on iOS 15. If so, so will the SEv1. But no official word from the mothership has been shared yet. Deprecating and obsoleting old iPhones is integral to the iPhone business model. They want people to buy new iPhones

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Considering most likely Apple TV HD will get tvOS 15 ( and it shares the same CPU/RAM as Mini 4) and that is still in production. I see the SE since it has a better SoC and DDR4 RAM than the TV HD getting iOS 15 if tv HD gets tvOS 15

also tvOS is derived from iOS as well

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Im guessing the 6S will get dropped on iOS 15. If so, so will the SEv1. But no official word from the mothership has been shared yet. Deprecating and obsoleting old iPhones is integral to the iPhone business model. They want people to buy new iPhones

yes and no

yes because it’s been proven before but no because look at the Mini 4 as an example of Apple services model being in the weakest iOS/iPadOS 14 model.

Mini 4 is comaptiable with AirPods Pro/Max/ heck it’s compatible with beats headphones till now. and airtags and find my available for third party are also for Mini 4

if Apple gives iOS/iPadOS 15 to Mini 4 and above then mini 4 can be comaptiable with more newer accessories further enhancing services for older devices ???

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Although I doubt the 6s will have problems running iOS15 performance wise, I now too have a feeling it will be dropped, and thus the 1st gen SE as well, mainly because of the 16GB models.

I recently downloaded a full iOS14 via iTunes, and it's like 7GB or so. That's huge! And it won't give much usable space for phones with 16GB storage. Worse, users with 16GB models would probably be unable to update without significantly delete their apps/contents. And thus I believe Apple would just cut off the 6s (and 1st gen SE).

As for iPad OS 15, I believe the mini 4 will be dropped as well, for the same reason (the existence of 16GB model). Extending this logic, the same for the iPad Air 2. It's unfortunate for people owning higher storage models.

So my take is that 6s, 6s Plus, 1st gen SE, iPad mini 4 and iPad Air 2 will be dropped. And this will leave a lot of users behind. Will be interesting if Apple will offer a bone in their lineup in December (eg. by dropping the price of the iPhone lineup further, eg dropping the price of the XR to $399, and maybe dropping the price of the iPad Air 4 to $499). If Apple did those, imo there will be a huge uptick of people upgrading.

Reactions: rui no onna

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
It’s hard to say because the 5th generation iPad from 2017 is also based on the A9 chipset with 2GB RAM. They would have to drop the iPad Air 2, Mini 4 (it runs horrible on iOS 14 anyway,) the iPad 5th gen, the iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, and SE. The 2015 12.9” iPad Pro and the 9.7” 2016 iPad Pro also have variants of the A9. Sounds like a lot to drop at once to me but we’ll see soon enough.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
It’s hard to say because the 5th generation iPad from 2017 is also based on the A9 chipset with 2GB RAM. They would have to drop the iPad Air 2, Mini 4 (it runs horrible on iOS 14 anyway,) the iPad 5th gen, the iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, and SE. The 2015 12.9” iPad Pro and the 9.7” 2016 iPad Pro also have variants of the A9. Sounds like a lot to drop at once to me but we’ll see soon enough.

they have the A9X but it runs well. Even more better than A10 of iPod Touch 7th Gen since that is severely underclocked

also 12.9 inch model has 4GB of RAM so I don’t see A9X being dropped yet

it’s a lot to drop but don’t forget 7 iDevices didn’t get iOS/iPadOS 13 ?

Reactions: ScreenSavers

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Imo they won’t drop the 5th gen iPad nor the 1st gen iPad Pros, since those have 32GB storage as base model. I believe the current cutoff is if the model has 16GB as base storage.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Imo they won’t drop the 5th gen iPad nor the 1st gen iPad Pros, since those have 32GB storage as base model. I believe the current cutoff is if the model has 16GB as base storage.

do you happen to have some sort of evidence in regards to capacity being a reason…. Because largely if you look at past OS’s CPU is the first thing to consider when it comes to compatibility. The second part is RAM, and 5th Gen iPad has the exact same of that as the other A9 devices plus more pixels for its A9 combo to push than the iPhones… thanks

because the rumors are saying the devices in regards to CPU but no one has raised 16GB of storage though…. Thanks

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
14.6 restore for iPhone SE is 4.7 GB apparently.

Will get dropped for the screen size more than anything I think, because developers were already not designing for it in mind anymore. Probably is going to get security updates though, wouldn't be good to leave behind an Apple Pay/Touch ID device without them.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
do you happen to have some sort of evidence in regards to capacity being a reason…. Because largely if you look at past OS’s CPU is the first thing to consider when it comes to compatibility. The second part is RAM, and 5th Gen iPad has the exact same of that as the other A9 devices plus more pixels for its A9 combo to push than the iPhones… thanks

because the rumors are saying the devices in regards to CPU but no one has raised 16GB of storage though…. Thanks
Does anyone have any evidence on anything here? :D
If RAM is an issue, then the iPhone 7 and 8 will be cut off as well as those still have only 2GB of RAM, and it's unlikely for Apple to cut off 3 generations just like that.

I'm basing my guess from the size of iOS14. It was already around 7GB or so when downloading the full OS via iTunes. That would not leave much user usable storage on the 16GB models, and those models would be having a hard time trying to do OTA updates. So I'm guessing Apple would simply cut any models that had 16GB base off.

Of course, we will see what happen in a few weeks. But guessing and speculating are part of the fun in a rumor forum, no? :D

Reactions: Homme

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My Air2 has 128gb and my 6S has 64gb.. I don't think 16gb is enough anymore but I don't believe it's the reason to cut devices from updates. iPhone 6 had versions that were larger than 16gb as well as the 5S and they were dropped.. The iPad 5th gen is the same chipset/ram as the 6S and has many more pixels to push so if the 6S goes, so does the 2017 iPad 5th gen

• Love

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Does anyone have any evidence on anything here? :D
If RAM is an issue, then the iPhone 7 and 8 will be cut off as well as those still have only 2GB of RAM, and it's unlikely for Apple to cut off 3 generations just like that.

I'm basing my guess from the size of iOS14. It was already around 7GB or so when downloading the full OS via iTunes. That would not leave much user usable storage on the 16GB models, and those models would be having a hard time trying to do OTA updates. So I'm guessing Apple would simply cut any models that had 16GB base off.

Of course, we will see what happen in a few weeks. But guessing and speculating are part of the fun in a rumor forum, no? :D

RAM is generally not an issue when it comes to compatibility. It’s largely CPU as seen in the past. Only three times it has happened because of RAM, iOS 6 when RAM was the reason OG iPad didn’t get iOS 6, iOS 7 dropping support for 256MB of RAM and 2 years ago when the remaining 1GB of RAM devices didn’t get iOS/iPadOS 13.

also iPod Touch 7G is still supported and that has 2GB of RAM but why I mentioned RAM in my other post is because that has been a factor in the past I guess. But in this case if devices do drop support it will be because of CPU. And storage sizes haven’t been a actual reason for device compatibility?

but we will wait and see eventually ?

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I could see all A8/A9 based devices dropped as the line in the sand could be Fusion/Bionic moving forward.

iOS 15 could be the first to be designed with performance/efficiency core switching in mind.

on the tvOS side, A8 is probably more than adequate for simply processing HD video and doing light computations on the HomePod.

I could see with the recent dropping of the A10X ATV4K, it could be a sign that Apple has closed down the entire A8/A10/A10X production lines, but they still have enough A8/A10 chips on hand to support the slow stream of ATV HD and iPod Touch devices that are still sold. As soon as they run low of those, I could see the iPod touch being moved onto the 8th Gen with an A12 chip and the ATV HD simply being discontinued.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.