Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
I came home last night unsure of whether or not going back to a smaller iPhone display was going to work for me. And less than 24 hours later, not only am I convinced this little powerhouse is going to get the job done, it’s going to do everything I need it to do much more efficiently and effortlessly.

Honestly, my mind’s a little blown by how much I’m into the smaller form factor of the SE. I mean, it’s not like the iPhone 11 I’m switching from offered a poor user experience, or that it would even be considered large by today’s max standards. It was a perfectly good and useable device, and the silicone case I had it in kept it light enough to be manageable. But after getting the SE set up last night, the lightbulbs started going off and I realized I have been “lugging around” these larger smartphones for years, and it's truly refreshing to have something small and lightweight again that allows me to quickly and easily get it in and out of my pocket, navigate around an entire screen with one hand, and basically do everything I need to it do at any given moment with less distraction.. which is great because my primary focus usually belongs somewhere else. (Real Life >>>>>>> Screen Life)

I could say the switch was long overdue, but with this year’s A15 chip, some battery life improvements, 5G, and TouchID in an era of mask wearing, this is clearly the best variant and best value SE model to own thus far. So I guess it’s right on time.

As a photographer, I’m genuinely excited to have a thin and light pocketable mobile camera again for supplemental photo and video that actually feels like the little point and shoot I need it to be.. especially in scenarios where I have much larger camera around my neck and/or gear I’m hiking / walking around with, I’m certain I’ll be reaching for it more often.

And, generally speaking, I’m certain I’ll be reaching for the iPhone more often, because this is the most effortlessly usable and useful iPhone I’ve had in years.

Bottom Line:

For me, the form and functionality pros the SE offers far outweigh any cons and concerns I had about switching to its smaller display (which is still super crisp and easy to read btw).

Anyone concerned that the appeal and market for iPhones like the SE & Mini will be fading away anytime soon should rest easy. At this price point, the SE is going to sell very well right now, and plenty of people are going to continue to want powerful, small and lightweight iPhones that are ready to do all the things they need them to do quickly and easily, and then get right back out of the way they can get on with their days, and on with their lives.

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Valid points. For me, the issue of bigger phones is the weight. Anything 200g or more feels unwieldy for me. I used to be in the camp of go big or go home, but since my S21, I started to appreciate smaller and lighter phones again.

The SE is 50g lighter than the iPhone 11, so I can see how you feel that it’s less obstructive. I’m curious about the battery life though, and hopefully you will update us on how your experience is.

Ivanzz

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2021
my impressions:

iPhone SE has a 2018 mah battery. it is enough for me on light use.

now I owe iPhone 11 and SE. I have to say, the 4G LTE signal on SE is much better than that of iPhone 11, especially if you are in the mall or parking buildings. 5G is another plus. I use H2O wireless, and compared the internet speed on LTE vs 5G, I saw no difference, both showing around 50mbps for both downloading and uploading (maybe I did not test well). haha...

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
I came home last night unsure of whether or not going back to a smaller iPhone display was going to work for me. And less than 24 hours later, not only am I convinced this little powerhouse is going to get the job done, it’s going to do everything I need it to do much more efficiently and effortlessly.

Honestly, my mind’s a little blown by how much I’m into the smaller form factor of the SE. I mean, it’s not like the iPhone 11 I’m switching from offered a poor user experience, or that it would even be considered large by today’s max standards. It was a perfectly good and useable device, and the silicone case I had it in kept it light enough to be manageable. But after getting the SE set up last night, the lightbulbs started going off and I realized I have been “lugging around” these larger smartphones for years, and it's truly refreshing to have something small and lightweight again that allows me to quickly and easily get it in and out of my pocket, navigate around an entire screen with one hand, and basically do everything I need to it do at any given moment with less distraction.. which is great because my primary focus usually belongs somewhere else. (Real Life >>>>>>> Screen Life)

I could say the switch was long overdue, but with this year’s A15 chip, some battery life improvements, 5G, and TouchID in an era of mask wearing, this is clearly the best variant and best value SE model to own thus far. So I guess it’s right on time.

As a photographer I’m genuinely excited to have a thin and light pocketable mobile camera again for supplemental photo and video that actually feels like the little point and shoot I need it to be.. especially in scenarios where I have much larger camera around my neck and/or gear I’m hiking / walking around with, I’m certain I’ll be reaching for it more often.

And, generally speaking, I’m certain I’ll be reaching for the iPhone more often, because this is the most effortlessly usable and useful iPhone I’ve had in years.

Bottom Line:

For me, the form and functionality pros the SE offers far outweigh any cons and concerns I had about switching to its smaller display (which is still super crisp and easy to read btw).

Anyone concerned that the appeal and market for iPhones like the SE & Mini be fading away anytime soon should rest easy. At this price point right now, the SE is going to sell very well, and plenty of people are going to continue to want powerful, small and light iPhones that are ready to do all the things they need them to do quickly and easily, and then get right back out of the way they can get on with their days, and on with their lives.

You are a photographer and the one camera of SE3 is enough for you, then no one should need to buy iPhone 13 Pro/Non Pro or even 12 because of the camera.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
You are a photographer and the one camera of SE3 is enough for you, then no one should need to buy iPhone 13 Pro/Non Pro or even 12 because of the camera.
The iPhone 8 sensor is still surprisingly capable.

Nonetheless, the larger iPhone 11 camera sensor would have been amazing as that’s the next biggest jump plus it would definitively enable Night Mode.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
If this were the case, I suppose there would only be one type of camera (or phone) for everyone. We all have different needs and workflows.

I’m a photographer who’s primary camera is a much larger dedicated camera with a variety of dedicated lenses. I definitely became a better photographer thanks to mobile photography and my first iPhone (5), but it’s been a secondary supplemental choice that’s used less and less by me for years now, and I see now that size and ease of use has factored into that decline.

The SE design is much more in line with the size and feel of a small point and shoot camera in my hands, only thinner and lighter. It will get used more by me going forward because of this, and that’s all that matters.

Last edited:

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
The SEs (even the first generation) take great photos if there's good light and the subject isn't too far away. I've taken some excellent (for my non-professional purposes) photos of streetscapes, historic cities, sunsets, dog at the beach, etc. on my SE 2st & 2nd gen. On some occasions I've gone head to head, in effect, with a DSLR and ended up with the best photos because it's so fast to whip the SE out of my pocket and take a photo (and I find the one-hand swipe up to control centre very handy in that respect - not so easy on phones without a home button). If Apple made a phone with better cameras *and* a home button / TouchID I'd be interested, but I don't consider the 'lesser' camera an unacceptable trade-off for the convenience of the button. If I need a better camera, I use my Canon. And if I want a bigger screen, I use one of my Macs!

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Your post is exactly why I’m considering a 13 Mini. I played with one in a store for a brief time while looking at the 13 Pro, and I was remarking how nice it would be to have a truly pocketable phone with those capabilities. I’m still shopping/agonizing over my decision, but the smaller size of the Mini definitely has it in the running.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
I’m having trouble deciding what should I upgrade to from my iPhone 8, the SE3 or 13 Mini?

On one hand I love TouchID, on the other the 13 Mini is almost perfect. At the same time my iPhone 8 runs flawlessly. Maybe I’ll just wait it out until September and see what Apple has in store.

Reactions: ahurst

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
I’m having trouble deciding what should I upgrade to from my iPhone 8, the SE3 or 13 Mini?

On one hand I love TouchID, on the other the 13 Mini is almost perfect. At the same time my iPhone 8 runs flawlessly. Maybe I’ll just wait it out until September and see what Apple has in store.
Think of your use cases. If you want better photos/videos and/or best modem for 5G, go 13 Mini. If getting the best photos/videos isn't priority; go to SE3. Or wait until September if you're happy with the 8 and see if the 14 Mini (if it exists) gives you anything more vs the SE3 to jump there.

I'm an audio/sound person and playing music via AirPods were jumping/skipping if Apple Music app was doing anything more than playing on my X.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016

I went from the iPhone 8 to the 12 Mini on release and have been happy with my decision. It’s a much nicer phone to hold with the taller and slimmer iPhone 5 inspired design. The OLED screen is a huge upgrade over the iPhone 8’s LCD too. I didn’t give a damn about OLED until I picked up the 12 Mini. The speakers are an improvement over the already high quality iPhone 8’s speakers. MagSafe is great also… I picked up a MagSafe battery pack as the heavy user and the phone has enough battery life to last over a day now. It’s a proper powerhouse of a little phone.

I would pick up the 13 Mini over the SE3 any day of the week.

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas

I’d say wait, I have the 12 mini and ready to get a bigger phone but I’m going to wait to see what releases and make the decision then.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I’m having trouble deciding what should I upgrade to from my iPhone 8…

On one hand I love TouchID… At the same time my iPhone 8 runs flawlessly.
Same. I really like my 8+. I never get the latest tech so I’d be looking at an 11 or 12 Mini. I like the look of the new SE, but I’m not sure of going back to a smaller screen from my current 5.5.

Given how satisfied I am presently I’ll probably just wait until my 8+ starts giving me issues. That could be awhile.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Same. I really like my 8+. I never get the latest tech so I’d be looking at an 11 or 12 Mini. I like the look if the new SE, but I’m nit sure of going back to a smaller screen from my current 5.5.

Given how satisfied I am presently I’ll probably just wait until my 8+ starts giving me issues. That could be awhile.

The 5.4” display on the 13 mini feels a lot smaller (much narrower width) than the 5.5” display on the 8 Plus. If I was used to the 8+, I wouldn’t want to go 13 mini.

Comparing side by side, the 6.7” iPhone Pro Max is almost the same physical size as the 5.5” iPhone+.

Reactions: snipr125

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2021
I was in a similar boat: had an iPhone 8+ and upgraded to an iPhone mini 12. It’s been wonderful having a smaller phone.

FaceID/Touch ID is now a non issue for me because of the recent updates that allow you to unlock the phone with your watch, and unlock while wearing a mask. Very convenient

justdefend

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2015
Agree 100%. The SE has the right mix of components at a great price. Touch ID is the best authentication tech for me, particularly when masks were required these past two years for travel. From the airport to the plane to the train I was constantly unlocking, logging into flight and banking apps, and using Apple Pay without a hitch.

Just upgraded to the SE 3rd gen and couldn't be happier. The A15 Bionic just flies, 5G and Wi-Fi is great, photos have better HDR, and battery life is better.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
One under-appreciated “feature” of the TouchID phones like the SE is the ability to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access control center.

It makes using the phone one handed A LOT easier and swiping down from the top right of the screen with the other phones is cumbersome and not the same.

TouchID and being able to swipe up for control center are a match made in heaven!

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014

Apple is learning that many, many of us don’t need the very extreme in thinness or large screen size, in uber-skeumorphism or ultra-minimalist operating system interface details. There’s a really happy middle which leans forward-looking but is rooted in what’s been proven to work really well.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I think it would be too small for me.

But I think I will probably go from the 12 pro max to just the 14 pro. Depending on battery life, we'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.