Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I’ve seen a lot of threads on this for the flagship phones, but now that I bought an SE 3, I am curious- how many of you with an SE are using it with no case?

I really like the look of mine in Midnight color, and it fits really well into my hand without a case so for now I’m going without just as I did with previous phones.

However, my previous phone was a 12 mini with the squared edges, so it was much easier to pick up and hold securely than the rounded edges on this phone.
I do use a leather sleeve pouch that it fits into like a glove, for when I take the phone out of the house, so at least it’s protected when I’m not actively using it.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I’m curious about this as well. I’m considering getting the newest SE, coming from SE1. Because of the SE1’s small size and flat edges, I’ve never felt the need for a case. It’s so easy to hold and use one-handed that I’ve never dropped it. I don’t like cases, but I fear it will be necessary with the new SE, making it even bulkier than it already is, compared to my current SE1.

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I’m curious about this as well. I’m considering getting the newest SE, coming from SE1. Because of the SE1’s small size and flat edges, I’ve never felt the need for a case. It’s so easy to hold and use one-handed that I’ve never dropped it. I don’t like cases, but I fear it will be necessary with the new SE, making it even bulkier than it already is, compared to my current SE1.
I dropped my 6S and 8 quite a lot as they are no where near as comfortable to hold as the SE1. I used cases with all my iPhones including my SE1 but only dropped it twice in the 6 months I used it. I dropped both my 6S and 8 many times due to them being much larger phones. The curved edges don’t help either! Even my 12 Mini with squared edges gets dropped fairly often.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I dropped my 6S and 8 quite a lot as they are no where near as comfortable to hold as the SE1. I used cases with all my iPhones including my SE1 but only dropped it twice in the 6 months I used it. I dropped both my 6S and 8 many times due to them being much larger phones. The curved edges don’t help either! Even my 12 Mini with squared edges gets dropped fairly often.
Sounds like I’d need a case for the new SE… that’s a bummer. I’m kind of considering the Mini as well. Hmm maybe I could get away without a case. But I’m leaning toward the SE because of Touch ID.

Reactions: Andeddu

TwitchyPuppy

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2016
Canada
Case because of the rounded edges!
Back when I had the first SE (in Rose Gold ), it was always Commando. It had such a good grip due to the flat edges and I really didn’t want to hide that Rose Gold.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Sounds like I’d need a case for the new SE… that’s a bummer. I’m kind of considering the Mini as well. Hmm maybe I could get away without a case. But I’m leaning toward the SE because of Touch ID.
Do not go naked as the glass backs are easily cracked and are more fragile than the screens. Even if you have AppleCare you will still be expected to pay an excess which is quite expensive. There are high quality thinner cases you can use which provide adequate protection so look around and find one you like. I would prefer a 13 Mini over an SE3. I used an SE1 with Touch ID for 6 months there and Face ID is much better and far more intuitive.

Reactions: subjonas

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
OT, but may I ask what made you switch from the 12 mini?

I never should have switched away from the 12 mini to be honest. I had it for a year and loved it, but thought at the time that I wanted the more advanced features that were available in the 13 Pro, so I upgraded (especially with a $300 off deal that my carrier offered). That has been my phone for the last year- but I have never liked the huge size, and wanted to get back to a much smaller sized device, and had very mild PWM sensitivity, so I went with the SE to get back to the LCD display. I am nearing the end of my 14 day return period on the SE, and though I mostly really like it- part of me wonders about buying a 13 Mini to test it out as that is the absolutely perfect size to me)

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Thanks for the responses!

For me, I did not use a case on the 12 Mini I had for a year or the 13 Pro I had for a year.... I carried them in a leather pouch when taking them out of the house, but the squared edges made them easy to hold securely, and I never dropped these other phones.
So far a week with no case on my SE3, but as noted- the rounded edges make me worry as I pick it up from a desk, or even when I take it out of the pouch and try to use it when I am out...

Reactions: subjonas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.