Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
So been testing the SE2 out for a couple of weeks as a replacement for my old Garmin Forerunner which is knackered. Sadly it’s just wrong.

I knew during my first run it was wrong, I could see my average pace, on an easy run it’s never below 6:10/km, I’ve been running 2/3 years every other day, I just know what my pace is, on Apple Watch an easy pace is between 5:30-5:55/km, I never run at that pace unless doing intervals or something.

Trying to figure this out the GPS doesn’t seem to be accurate, it rounds every corner by a good bit and I’m thinking this is how I’m getting a faster pace, so if the GPS isn’t right every other metric is gonna be wrong.

This was a short 4K run, I used both NRC to track and the Apple Watch, the NRC is definitely closer to what Garmin was, sadly the longer the run the more the drift and inaccuracy.

Anyone else experienced this??

This shows the GPS drift, I was on the road clear area

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I've never used a Garmin, but I do use NRC, and I've noticed that the NRC app consistently registers less distance than Apple workout app. Like, the workout app will say I've gone a mile, and NRC will have the distance at 0.95 miles or something.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I just went on a walk and paid closer attention to the tracks using my AW8.

The accuracy was spot on, I would say, even identifying which side of the road I was on. But the soft line diagrams aren't wholly representative of the entire street. I'm assuming that you were not running down the middle of the road either. It would be interesting to see the satellite map overlay.

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
I just went on a walk and paid closer attention to the tracks using my AW8.

The accuracy was spot on, I would say, even identifying which side of the road I was on. But the soft line diagrams aren't wholly representative of the entire street. I'm assuming that you were not running down the middle of the road either. It would be interesting to see the satellite map overlay.

View attachment 2089478

View attachment 2089479
You’re on to something mate. The overlay is a hell of a lot more accurate, the line diagrams are wrong, they don’t give an accurate representation of the width of roads etc which makes the gps route look wrong, but the satellite view id say it’s almost perfect

Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
You’re on to something mate. The overlay is a hell of a lot more accurate, the line diagrams are wrong, they don’t give an accurate representation of the width of roads etc which makes the gps route look wrong, but the satellite view id say it’s almost perfect

That‘s great to hear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.