Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmilanski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Hi everyone,
My 17yo shattered the back of his iPhone SE2. Luckily, it's in a case and still usable. It has AppleCare+, so I think it would cost me $100 deductible to have Apple replace it today with another SE2.

Would it make more sense to wait for the iPhone13 release? Maybe Apple would swap it for an iPhone12, or maybe there would be trade-in value at Apple or TMo?

Fix now or wait? Thanks for your thoughts!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Spend the money.

Apple will not swap a 12 for an SE. A shattered back has zero trade-in value: Apple will deem it "ready for recycling".

Can try a T-Mo store to see if they are willing to haggle, but guessing will run into same issue re: shattered back.

Reactions: chscag

jmilanski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Bummer. I was kind of hoping that, with the new models coming out soon, an Apple store might have the discretion to replace the SE with an iPhone12 mini that they will have trouble selling.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Get it fixed if not too expensive then sell it if you want to replace it with a newer phone. Apl won't upgrade it to a newer model

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
Bummer. I was kind of hoping that, with the new models coming out soon, an Apple store might have the discretion to replace the SE with an iPhone12 mini that they will have trouble selling.
Lol that will never happen.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
if the phone resides inside a case 24/7/365 and the shattered back has no effect on any of the phone's function, why bother with replacing the glass at all??? (assuming that money is an issue)

Disclaimer: every smartphone that I've had for the last 10 year have never been outside of Otterbox Defender cases. (except for the 5 minutes after I unboxed them... or the 5 minutes before I took them out just before trading them in) Never had scratches or dents on any of my last 10 phones.(knock on wood)

Last edited:
Reactions: now i see it

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
an Apple store might have the discretion to replace the SE with an iPhone12 mini that they will have trouble selling

Warranty terms aside, with lean/just-in-time manufacturing, Apple is not sitting on warehouse full amounts of Minis. They know how many they need week-to-week, and what ever is left in stock in two-ish weeks will probably be re-purposed for warranty replacements for other Minis.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Your SE2 is going for $180-$250 (no damage) on Swappa so I'd say Apple would give no more than that if you traded it in after you spend $100 to fix it. Basically you'll have around $100 -$150 to put towards a new phone..

halfapie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
T-Mobile runs very frequent and generous trade-in promotions, so I’d say get it repaired and use it until the next trade in promo. Just a few months ago I got a free iPhone 12 by trading in an iPhone SE (yes original gen 1 SE) through T-Mobile existing line upgrade promo. Didn’t even have to update my grandfathered “simple choice” plan. I was kinda shocked at the crazy trade in value I got, and the promo only ran for about a week. The phone had to be working condition AND it had to be the current phone on my line, IMEI confirmed. Just watch and wait for the best T-Mobile trade in promos. I got half price iPhone 11 by trading in iPhone 7, got a free 7 by trading in iPhone 5c, etc.

Last edited:

davinche

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Yesterday, a friend of mine just was able to trade in an iPhone with shattered back at a T-Mobile store towards a iPhone 12. The sales person told her as long as the front glass is not damaged they will accept it. So maybe check with T-Mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.