Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I watched MKBHD review, and you have to remember he is an EXTREME power user. He used the phone all day playing games, taking pictures, shooting video (probably in 4K) and said that the battery is average at best, which means for a light/medium user, the battery should be decent enough and better than the SE 2020 for sure.

I really like Marques, but like some of the other reviewers, he said if it had a 120 mhz screen it would be a better experience etc, rather than review the iphone based on its target market.

Anyway its looks pretty good to me, better battery life similar to the 12 mini, and a very good camera with all the new features apart from night mode. All those Android phones at the same price point with quad cameras etc, fast refresh screens, modern designs etc are fine and dandy, but none of them will have the performance, snappiness or ability to take pictures better than the new SE.
Would you still consider the 2022 SE if it were $600? Not trying to be snide, but I'm genuinely curious about what people think here about the SE value proposition. In my country, it will be sold at ~$600 starting price.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Yes will trade in my SE 2020, Apple will give me £120 for it, then pay the rest and add it to my collection. Will alternate with my 12 mini, as whatsapp has the multi device feature now so happy days.
Whatsapp multi device feature only works on a browser, no? It still only supports one phone. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Reactions: snipr125

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
For someone coming from the SE2 (with 2-year old “90%” battery), getting 12 mini level is already an improvement.

My SE2 is pretty much on standby the whole day (use PCs and iPads primarily) but even then, I still need to charge the phone twice a day. Nowadays, I just keep it on a wireless charging dock semi-permanently when I’m at the office.
My SE2 is from July 2020 and on 85% battery health. It still gets through the day, though, with similar use (also no wifi + bad reception at work, and a hot climate). I struggled a bit though before I turned off push email... might be worth a try? Or is there something else running in the background? I'm still on iOS14.

The thing that drains the battery worst is using maps in the sun!

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Would you still consider the 2022 SE if it were $600? Not trying to be snide, but I'm genuinely curious about what people think here about the SE value proposition. In my country, it will be sold at ~$600 starting price.
I'd pay extra for a chunky body (double thickness?). Maybe Apple is starting to understand that software is trumping hardware now for what the everyday consumer wants and who wants to stay in the Apple Ecosystem.

I'm dumping my iPhone X (trade-in is still £145!) as battery is dying and I think that it's struggling with anything I'm doing with my AirPods. Video/gaming is way down my list and I have an iPad for the rest of the tasks. So as a value proposition, taking that £145 off the RRP price from Apple directly will give me a great device all fully paid in 2 years. Not 3 years via my mobile network.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I'd pay extra for a chunky body (double thickness?). Maybe Apple is starting to understand that software is trumping hardware now for what the everyday consumer wants and who wants to stay in the Apple Ecosystem.
Keep the current SE for people who like smaller phones, they definitely need a larger model though.

Maybe a iPhone 11 minus some of the bells and whistles to cut cost, one less camera, no Face ID and so on.

I’d pay $720 for this ? no chance I’d pay $720 AUD for the current SE.

Can’t see apple releasing a larger SE any time soon, it will eat into their flagship iPhone sales.

1647338698256.jpeg

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
I was thinking of replacing my 12 mini with the new SE, but after yesterday's update I think I'm fine.
I hope Apple Pay will really work when I have a mask on.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Keep the current SE for people who like smaller phones, they definitely need a larger model though.

Maybe a iPhone 11 minus some of the bells and whistles to cut cost, one less camera, no Face ID and so on.

I’d pay $720 for this ? no chance I’d pay $720 AUD for the current SE.

Can’t see apple releasing a larger SE any time soon, it will eat into their flagship iPhone sales.
I've never liked the larger phones and iPhone X was really pushing it at the time. Never liked the plus/max models with 6+ inch screens. For the video/gaming person, it makes sense. But I see phones still as a comms devices. The Mini version of the top line suffer because of the obsession to stay thin too and that's why I am staying clear of the iPhone 13.

FaceID is way overvalued as well with its consistency issues. Software processing can make up for one lens on the camera now.

Messaging with one hand, that's a big plus. And I haven't thought about it, the OLED screen on iPX may have triggered some headaches/migraines in recent years.

SE3 may well keep Apple away from always being a "top line" technology company in the times of technology stagnation. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. The SE3 body clearly delivers for most and I want power processing more than anything else.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Don't forget in 2022, a good portable battery can be bought that would have 4-5 full charges on a smaller phone battery. I have a 10000mAh portable battery that I use regularly. So I'm not sure battery constraints of the iPhone SE3 (or Mini editions) are that much of an issue now.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I've never liked the larger phones and iPhone X was really pushing it at the time. Never liked the plus/max models with 6+ inch screens. For the video/gaming person, it makes sense. But I see phones still as a comms devices. The Mini version of the top line suffer because of the obsession to stay thin too and that's why I am staying clear of the iPhone 13.
Problem with me, I’ve gotten use to the larger displays, I struggled with the iPhone 12 last year, replaced it with a 12 pro max.

I also find typing to be more comfortable on the pro max.

FaceID is way overvalued as well with its consistency issues. Software processing can make up for one lens on the camera now.
I’m in the love Face ID camp, works flawlessly for me.

Messaging with one hand, that's a big plus. And I haven't thought about it, the OLED screen on iPX may have triggered some headaches/migraines in recent years.
Apparently PWM affects 1 in 10 people, lucky for me I don’t have that issue, hopefully these tech companies can find a way to reduce it, so everyone can enjoy these OLED panels.

SE3 may well keep Apple away from always being a "top line" technology company in the times of technology stagnation. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. The SE3 body clearly delivers for most and I want power processing more than anything else.

Agree, it’s one of their best selling phones.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
True. I actually agree. Recently I was using my iPhone 5s and I gotta be honest with you… It was amazing to hold it. Size wise it's way better than my iPhone 12 mini. I know I'll get laughed at and a lot of hate for this, but iPhone 5s is so comfortable to hold.
I think we'll get a resurgence of smaller and thicker phones soon. Or I hope. The ergonomics of a thin phone doesn't work with most human hands. I think Ive is to blame for this pursuit for thinness. Although admirable in the first few editions of Apple's best iOS and Mac work in the past (iP4/5 + MacBook Air).

Would love a removable battery again if they decide not to fatten the phones to iPhone 3G/S size. Looking forward to my SE3 arriving next week. Seen may quips on Reddit saying the iPhone SE range are garbage for screen time, but is any modern smartphone that good for screen time? No in reality.

Reactions: iHorseHead

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I think we'll get a resurgence of smaller and thicker phones soon. Or I hope. The ergonomics of a thin phone doesn't work with most human hands. I think Ive is to blame for this pursuit for thinness. Although admirable in the first few editions of Apple's best iOS and Mac work in the past (iP4/5 + MacBook Air).

Would love a removable battery again if they decide not to fatten the phones to iPhone 3G/S size. Looking forward to my SE3 arriving next week. Seen may quips on Reddit saying the iPhone SE range are garbage for screen time, but is any modern smartphone that good for screen time? No in reality.
We already see thicker and heavier iPhones, starting with the 11 series. The 13 Pro lineup pushes the weight even more. They are already thicker. Ive's already gone from Apple.

Removable battery ship has sailed loooong time ago. No Android phones have removable battery either.

Modern smartphone with good screen time? iPhone 13 Pro Max, and any Android phone with 5000mAh battery or more. Many mid-low range Android phones actually are long lasting since they use slower non-flagship SoC while carrying at least 5000mAh batteries. The only thing Android loses is in standby time, where iPhones are still king.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

The iPhone 12 mini is $600 here in the US so for that price, I’d want the SE3 to get the same camera system and bigger battery.

Heck, I'd pay same price as iPhone 13 mini for 13 mini specs and battery but with 4.7" LCD and home button TouchID even with the gigantic bezels that most folks here seem to be allergic to. To be honest, I'm even willing to go up to iPhone 13 Pro pricing for smallish chassis (6/7/8 to iPhone X/Xs/11 Pro) + non-PWM LCD + TouchID + better battery with all the bells and whistles. Granted, I'm probably in a very small niche with those wants.

My SE2 is from July 2020 and on 85% battery health. It still gets through the day, though, with similar use (also no wifi + bad reception at work, and a hot climate). I struggled a bit though before I turned off push email... might be worth a try? Or is there something else running in the background? I'm still on iOS14.

The thing that drains the battery worst is using maps in the sun!

I already have email set to manual fetch (only iCloud is push), most notifications apart from calls and messages disabled, background app refresh is limited to select apps and Hey Siri is disabled. I did update to iOS 15. I had COVID-19 Exposure enabled at one point which was killing my battery but even after disabling that, my battery life never did recover.

Only other thing I still haven't done is erase + restore or setup as new. Not something I'm messing with on my primary iPhone until I have a replacement on hand. I'll probably setup my incoming SE3 as new and painstakingly install and arrange apps manually.

Mind, I've actually had an iPad shut down to avoid overheating while using as GPS in the car.

Last edited:

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
We already see thicker and heavier iPhones, starting with the 11 series. The 13 Pro lineup pushes the weight even more. They are already thicker. Ive's already gone from Apple.

Removable battery ship has sailed loooong time ago. No Android phones have removable battery either.

Modern smartphone with good screen time? iPhone 13 Pro Max, and any Android phone with 5000mAh battery or more. Many mid-low range Android phones actually are long lasting since they use slower non-flagship SoC while carrying at least 5000mAh batteries. The only thing Android loses is in standby time, where iPhones are still king.
Boy,
do I have news for you The European Parliament calls for removable and replaceable batteries

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I agree with you except for one point. Tim Cook is to blame 100%. He is the head of the company. This misplaced idea that Ive is to blame is not correct. Yes, he pushed the thin nonsense to an extreme but he was allowed to do so. A talented bean counter is Cook, but a very poor manager who seemingly had no idea or interest what was happening in key parts of the company. As long as what was happening was saving every nickel and dime possible, he was fully on board. To hell with the reputation and ethics of Apple. Very sad.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
I agree with you except for one point. Tim Cook is to blame 100%. He is the head of the company. This misplaced idea that Ive is to blame is not correct. Yes, he pushed the thin nonsense to an extreme but he was allowed to do so. A talented bean counter is Cook, but a very poor manager who seemingly had no idea or interest what was happening in key parts of the company. As long as what was happening was saving every nickel and dime possible, he was fully on board. To hell with the reputation and ethics of Apple. Very sad.
Ive had no counter-balance of Jobs when he died with the brutal yes/no. So I guess the pseudo-engineering vision of Jobs was never replaced. Cook has taken a long time to allow the best engineers to come back to front within Apple. No doubt Cook has had some stern advice from strong people outside when Mac Pro debacle disappointed the creatives.

The USB-C MacBook years were more hell and luckily the iPhone/iPad range didn't suffer in the same way.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
In the UK, the SE3 is £429 which equates to $546 US so not far off the amount in your country. I’ve posted before about Apples strange pricing outside the US, but it is what it is. £350-£450 is about the going rate here for budget/premium budget phones, so it’s fair to be honest.

Reactions: LFC2020

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
In the UK, the SE3 is £429 which equates to $546 US so not far off the amount in your country. I’ve posted before about Apples strange pricing outside the US, but it is what it is. £350-£450 is about the going rate here for budget/premium budget phones, so it’s fair to be honest.

Iirc, UK pricing includes 20% VAT. If you take off the 20% VAT it's only $455.

Other manufacturers might be willing to absorb the tax but obviously, Apple's not interested in doing so.

LAKings

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
These early reviews of the SE are pretty promising, battery-wise. Of course it's all going to depend on your usage, but seems like you can definitely get a day out of it.

• Wow

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
These early reviews of the SE are pretty promising, battery-wise. Of course it's all going to depend on your usage, but seems like you can definitely get a day out of it.

I used to get 1.5 days from the SE2 (when it was new running iOS 13) and I still get 1.5 days on the 12 mini (88% battery health) with 10-20 minutes daily average onscreen time so I'm quite hopeful about the SE3.

That said, I think someone with even moderate smartphone usage (by modern standards) would probably be better served by larger phones with bigger batteries.

Crystal21

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2021
Is that theoretical? I don’t think the phone has actually been released yet.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
I used to get 1.5 days from the SE2 (when it was new running iOS 13) and I still get 1.5 days on the 12 mini (88% battery health) with 10-20 minutes daily average onscreen time so I'm quite hopeful about the SE3.

That said, I think someone with even moderate smartphone usage (by modern standards) would probably be better served by larger phones with bigger batteries.
I'd say that video/games usage (or heavy lifting productivity apps) is the barrier here.

I'm a mostly audio-only person and my iPhoneX is struggling to keep up with Apple Music app with my AirPods. So I'm hoping my SE3 will fulfil that with light messaging/browsing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.