Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PapaGino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Londonderry NH
So I have had this Macintosh laying around my house since it was new. My Father got it from his work back in 1994 (he was a graphic artist) and never ended up opening the box since he had a Performa at the time that he liked over the 7100/66. So after 22 years the poor 7100/66 has been sitting in the crawl space in our basement. So what I'm wondering is this classic Powermac worth anything? Sadly i cant find a apple VIN decoder anywhere to breakdown its exact specs and options oh well.

WalkerTexasRanger

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2015
It's probably worth quite a bit, Apple stuff new in box seems to sell for insane prices to collectors. The specs of the machine should be somewhere on the side of the box, if Apple did things back then like they do now.

PapaGino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Londonderry NH
It's probably worth quite a bit, Apple stuff new in box seems to sell for insane prices to collectors. The specs of the machine should be somewhere on the side of the box, if Apple did things back then like they do now.
Ill have to pull it out and take a look, there is some other computer boxes stacked on top of it at the moment. When I get it out I'll take some photos of it too and upload them.

oi!

Suspended
Jan 10, 2016
Cool! Can't wait to see the pics!

The 7100/66 was the early version, launched March 94, it was replaced by the 7100/80 in January 95.
The 66Mhz chip dropped down to the entry 6100, replacing it's original (somewhat unimpressive) 60Mhz processor.

I can't remember if the early 7100 had the sticky (badly designed) CD eject button, or if that was only the 6100 that had that.
If yours does have it, for god's sake don't try to fix the issue!
(for the sake of originality)

PapaGino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Londonderry NH
Cool! Can't wait to see the pics!

The 7100/66 was the early version, launched March 94, it was replaced by the 7100/80 in January 95.
The 66Mhz chip dropped down to the entry 6100, replacing it's original (somewhat unimpressive) 60Mhz processor.

I can't remember if the early 7100 had the sticky (badly designed) CD eject button, or if that was only the 6100 that had that.
If yours does have it, for god's sake don't try to fix the issue!
(for the sake of originality)
I also have a 7200/90 and i know exactly what your talking about with the CD eject button the whole button recesses behind the case making hard to press and almost impossible to use. When I pull it out tomorrow ill post the photos of it.

PapaGino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Londonderry NH
I couldn't wait so I took it out today. Well sadly when I took the box out I noticed the seal was broken so the box was opened. I called my dad and he said "That's right it was used for a very short amount of time in the art department until it was replaced with a faster mac. So I put this back in the box and just took it home but didn't use it." Even still though this mac looks grate for its age clean as a whistle. Also I took a few shots of the 7200/90 to show the how the CD drive moved back in the case. Along with a line up of the Macintosh SE, 7100/66 and the 7200/90. As you can see the 7200/90 has seen better days. I grew up using the 7200/90 as a kid and used it for games
20160514_183543.jpg
20160514_184139.jpg
20160514_210237.jpg
20160514_210310.jpg
20160514_210811.jpg
20160514_210843.jpg
20160514_210854.jpg
20160514_210942.jpg

PapaGino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Londonderry NH
Sorry couldn't upload all in one post. The VRam pic at the end is there since had to lower the quality in order to upload it XD!I
20160514_211611.jpg
20160514_211628.jpg
20160514_211634.jpg
20160514_211708.jpg
20160514_210912.jpg

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Unfortunately, I'm afraid that it's even more not "New in Box" as your dad indicated-the hard drive is missing.

Still, I always love seeing original packaging on any older Mac.

PapaGino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Londonderry NH
Unfortunately, I'm afraid that it's even more not "New in Box" as your dad indicated-the hard drive is missing.

Still, I always love seeing original packaging on any older Mac.
Yeah I may have jumped the gun when I saw the old box laying in the crawl space but yeah that sticker that read "NEW OS 7.5" gave a good laugh. Yes the HDD is no longer on the 7100/66, my dad said the HDD was moved into his Performa (my dad had many Performas not sure which one he ment) after the 7100/66 had its "early retirement" then to he moved it to 7200/90 where it still is today.

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
I also have one. Note the CD-ROM drive's face plate, it's bent out a little at the corner. This is what I always don't like about the look of this model. Mine is assembled in Singapore and has the same defect. The button never stuck though.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Apple made a big deal about the trashcan MPs being assembled in the USA.

It's certainly not unheard of-I need to take a look through my collection, as I know I have a lot of US stuff.

There was also a factory in Cork, Ireland that was responsible for a lot of G5s and I think some other products. The folks over in Europe seem to see more of those.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK

It's certainly not unheard of-I need to take a look through my collection, as I know I have a lot of US stuff.

There was also a factory in Cork, Ireland that was responsible for a lot of G5s and I think some other products. The folks over in Europe seem to see more of those.

All my Desktop Macs (excluding my Mac mini G4) Have been made in Cork ireland :) everything from my First Mac my 2006 iMac 17 inch to my Current mac a 2006 Mac Pro and all my PowerMacs have been made in cork heh. iv also seen online a lot of Power Macs and Mac Pros made in the US as well a few iMacs here and there.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Assembled in...U.S.A?!

That's a new one to me. I've never seen that on any Apple product before.
About three years ago our 1.8Ghz G5 at work had either a logicboard or CPU failure. I've never determined which one because I found a logicboard/CPU combo on on eBay for $60 and proceeded to swap out the entire thing.

That G5 of ours is a late 2004 model which was built some time in early 2005 (we bought it in February 2005). The board/CPU combo I replaced it with is actually OLDER than the original (December 2004) AND was the heart of a G5 that was built in the USA.

Like you, I'd never seen that until 2013. But apparently Apple does have a small Mac plant (or at least it used to) in California.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
All my Desktop Macs (excluding my Mac mini G4) Have been made in Cork ireland :) everything from my First Mac my 2006 iMac 17 inch to my Current mac a 2006 Mac Pro and all my PowerMacs have been made in cork heh. iv also seen online a lot of Power Macs and Mac Pros made in the US as well a few iMacs here and there.

I know England and Ireland are separate entities, but roll with me on this.

There's an old joke among LBC(Little British Car) owners/enthusiasts that the the reason why the British never built computers was because they couldn't figure out how to make them leak.

The liquid cooled G5s provided the perfect opportunity to make that statement untrue :)

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
You have to get out more, lots of Apple products have been made in the USA, including the one I'm using to type this message on.

View attachment 631385

Just because I don't know where each and every Apple product has been manufactured since the I was a toddler doesn't mean that I don't get out enough. There is just so much to learn, and often times, there just isn't enough time to get to it all. Regardless, I apologize for my ignorance.

Yes, I do remember Apple making a huge deal about how their (extremely low volume) trash can Mac Pro was being manufactured in the United States. I totally forgot all about that. I don't feel bashful about forgetting about the Mac Pro, however, as Apple has made it clear that they've also forgotten about it.

About three years ago our 1.8Ghz G5 at work had either a logicboard or CPU failure. I've never determined which one because I found a logicboard/CPU combo on on eBay for $60 and proceeded to swap out the entire thing.

That G5 of ours is a late 2004 model which was built some time in early 2005 (we bought it in February 2005). The board/CPU combo I replaced it with is actually OLDER than the original (December 2004) AND was the heart of a G5 that was built in the USA.

Like you, I'd never seen that until 2013. But apparently Apple does have a small Mac plant (or at least it used to) in California.

Is it possible that they switched the vast majority of their Mac manufacturing to China after the Intel transition? I see that a lot of you have PowerPC Mac's that have roots in the US, but I completely missed that era and have never had a PPC Mac. I'm not lying or using hyperbole when I say that every Apple product that I've ever used or owned was manufactured in China and not the US.

I did know about that Mac plant that they had in California, but I thought that it had been closed down a long time ago.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is it possible that they switched the vast majority of their Mac manufacturing to China after the Intel transition? I see that a lot of you have PowerPC Mac's that have roots in the US, but I completely missed that era and have never had a PPC Mac. I'm not lying or using hyperbole when I say that every Apple product that I've ever used or owned was manufactured in China and not the US.

I did know about that Mac plant that they had in California, but I thought that it had been closed down a long time ago.
I would say so. At least shifting the last of it once the Intel transition was occurring anyway.

The Mac I am typing this on, a PMG4 of 2001 vintage, was made in China. So was my 17" PowerBook. This is why I was surprised to find out that a G5 had been made in the US. I hadn't realized Apple actually had a US facility back when they were shipping G5s.

I suspect the US plant closed soon after though. Perhaps that G5 was one of the last, I don't know. I have yet to run another Mac serial with a US code.

As to missing PowerPC altogether - well, I can empathize.

I didn't have my first PowerPC Mac until 2002 and I didn't really use it until a full year later. I was always a PC person until 2003, despite using Macs at work.

But I didn't own more than that one PowerPC laptop until November 2009, a full three years after the Intel transition and about the earliest possible time for PowerPC to come in to my price range. Only the early Intels are now coming in to my price range so I'm still out of date.

Reactions: Brad9893

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Well my prototype G5 Quad was built in the US. That's not too surprising to me though, as it was a pre-production model, Apple probably would have wanted it's plans kept secret.

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
I would say so. At least shifting the last of it once the Intel transition was occurring anyway.

The Mac I am typing this on, a PMG4 of 2001 vintage, was made in China. So was my 17" PowerBook. This is why I was surprised to find out that a G5 had been made in the US. I hadn't realized Apple actually had a US facility back when they were shipping G5s.

I suspect the US plant closed soon after though. Perhaps that G5 was one of the last, I don't know. I have yet to run another Mac serial with a US code.

As to missing PowerPC altogether - well, I can empathize.

I didn't have my first PowerPC Mac until 2002 and I didn't really use it until a full year later. I was always a PC person until 2003, despite using Macs at work.

But I didn't own more than that one PowerPC laptop until November 2009, a full three years after the Intel transition and about the earliest possible time for PowerPC to come in to my price range. Only the early Intels are now coming in to my price range so I'm still out of date.

I can definitely understand that. I know that I'll always be unhappy about missing out on the rainbow colored iBook's and iMac's when they were new. Of course, I was five years old during the 1998-99 timeframe, so it's not like I could have done things differently anyways. I remember that Apple did a lot of product placement on TV shows back then, and the rainbow Mac's really stood out. I wanted a tangerine iBook more than anything after seeing them, but that obviously wasn't going to happen...no matter how much I begged.

I just think those machines had so much style and character that their successors didn't possess. For instance, the snow iBook G3 that replaced the Clamshell G3 was a good machine I'm sure, but it was just so completely conventional and boring compared to it's predecessor.

If only Doc Brown would lend me the DeLorean, I'd take it and a wad of cash back to '99 and buy a Tangerine iBook brand new!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I can definitely understand that. I know that I'll always be unhappy about missing out on the rainbow colored iBook's and iMac's when they were new. Of course, I was five years old during the 1998-99 timeframe, so it's not like I could have done things differently anyways. I remember that Apple did a lot of product placement on TV shows back then, and the rainbow Mac's really stood out. I wanted a tangerine iBook more than anything after seeing them, but that obviously wasn't going to happen...no matter how much I begged.

I just think those machines had so much style and character that their successors didn't possess. For instance, the snow iBook G3 that replaced the Clamshell G3 was a good machine I'm sure, but it was just so completely conventional and boring compared to it's predecessor.

If only Doc Brown would lend me the DeLorean, I'd take it and a wad of cash back to '99 and buy a Tangerine iBook brand new!
What you are referencing (style and character) is why a lot of us are here and continue to use PowerPC.

I have my preference for specific Macs of the era, but every PowerPC has that character if not style. It's something the Intel Macs lack.

I also enjoy the fact that with these Macs I am able to do the kinds of things that either weren't possible back when they were released or would have been astronomical in price.

Just read the first line of my signature and you'll get what I mean. Doing what I have done back in 2001 would have required a trust fund.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.