Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
well I'm glad I posted here first then. I appreciate your investigative work. I'll stop the auction until I get underneath the tape.

And your logic makes sense and it's probably open. I'll report back what I find.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
..and with that brown tape on there, that's not "sealed".

Even if it is, unless you can peel that stuff off and the clear tape underneath is not broken, you're not selling an unopened box.

Sealed, yes. A mere technicality. But OEM sealed? Not in the slightest.

It was shipped from Apple to Ormond Beach FL, 2nd Day Air, and then at some point re-shipped, for the shipping charge only, COD, totalling $17 - which would be the $5 COD charge plus the charge of shipping, or Central Point, OR.

My guess? Someone used it, packed it back up and passed it onto someone else.
Are you sure? I mean, today we know how things are but do you really know how it was back then? I'd be more inclined to say no, but I don't know your age or your tenure with Apple products.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
I know what it was like back then ...

Because I started hanging around an Apple dealer in my Jr. High days.. that would be 1981-82 .. and was there so much that I got to do odd jobs for them, setting up school/office networks that consisted of Apple II's, an occasional ///, and Macintosh/Lisa with OmniNet, before Apple introduced the whole LocalTalk thing. Worked there into 1986, before moving on in the blooming desktop publishing scene and setting up school/office networks that consisted of Apple II's, with Mac's, using LocalTalk, EtherTalk, et al.

Throughout it all, I've opened in store, and on site for setup, Lisa's, Mac's, from the original into the PPC era. After moving on in the early 1990's, I once bought four semi loads of IIgs's, and a bit of Mac's. In addition, dealt with many loads from Apple directly via their surplus and closeout fax bid lists that they used to do in the era before the return of Jobs.

Even looking into my current stash of "boxed" items. Apple -never- used anything other than custom moisture activated tape with the Motter Tektura Apple era typeface, the words Lisa, Apple /// or for a short stint, generic gray tape, before switching to clear tape.

Nothing ever came from Apple that was re-sealed. There was one strip on everything. Resealing meant re-boxing. A re-sealed box is like baby food that the "button" has been popped up on. Even officially refurbished stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.